What are yall using for radiator fans?

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
Any one use the flex a lite fans? Do they actually work? Also ive seen some nylon ones rated to 8,000 rpm. Anyone have any instight or advice

You'd be far better off with a clutch fan if you insist on a mechanical fan. Fan is all steel, and it will slip at high RPM so it won't come apart and launch through the hood or radiator.

Hmmmm could you point me in the right direction of one? Also im using a fan spacer will that matter? What rpm range does it slip?

I have a flex a lite fan and thermal clutch. Fan has a steel center section, aluminum blades. 6 blade, looks like an old stock unit minus 1 blade. Rated at 4000rpm, with the thermal clutch keeps it cool and should free up some horsepower over a fixed blade.

I have no real world experience with the flex blade fans although I have heard they use more hp to turn.

I run and have run the black one piece flex-a-lite fans with no issue other than noise (which is not an issue on a hot rod) in several cars that bounced the tach off 7000. Just make sure your pulley ratio is not going to over rev the fan.

I went to the junkyard and got a thermal clutch fan from an '85 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. I replaced the clutch itself with the part# for that vehicle and it fits and works great.

-
Back