What are you using for a trunk mounted battery?

-

Dartvader440gt

Reaction score
On my Dart resto, the battery is relocated in the trunk. I have the good thick gauge cable and will be buying a new hold down kit for a neater look. I am looking at Optima batteries. It looks like the yellow series is the better one.
It's a 440 with 11.5 compression, electric fan and electronic ignition. Other than that there are no electric power accessories. I had a big Interstate battery in it before but have since put it in my b-body wagon. I didn't want it to sit around for years not being used. Thank all.

I'm switching to a trunk mounted position this week. I have been using 0/1 gauge welding cable because of it's tough covering. I also use rubber hose to protect any abrasion or contact points. I also use like-sized ground cables from the battery to the block and chassis.

Are you running a disconnect switch near the battery? What about any fusing/circuit breakers or a Ford-type solenoid to kill the power to the cable when not cranking the motor over? There can be issues involving the alternator keeping the circuit powered when the disconnect switch is activated.

Did you mount the battery on the passenger side of the trunk for better traction?

The battery is on the passenger side of the trunk. I didn't use any relay. I may add a shut-off switch.

On my Dart resto, the battery is relocated in the trunk. I have the good thick gauge cable and will be buying a new hold down kit for a neater look. I am looking at Optima batteries. It looks like the yellow series is the better one.
It's a 440 with 11.5 compression, electric fan and electronic ignition. Other than that there are no electric power accessories. I had a big Interstate battery in it before but have since put it in my b-body wagon. I didn't want it to sit around for years not being used. Thank all.
For a trunk mount battery on a big block I like using 2/0 welding cable and a 250AMP resettable circuit breaker.
This one is in a 72 chevelle with a 468 BBC. That battery is pretty good too. Full throttle Batteries.
20231027_000158.jpg

Talk to Tony at CEAutoElectricSupply.com. That is what he does, and he is also a hotrod guy too! Great to work with! I installed his battery relocation kit and it was the best I've ever used. The cable is so much more flexible than welding cable or others I used in the past.

You can never go wrong with fatter cables. A 500 amp solenoid mounted in the trunk to the starter that's only live in start mode. A separate fat alternator wire. I have a buss bar under the dash for both + and -. Fused near the 31 series battery. Make sure your alternator puts out adequate ampage for your draw AT IDLE!

-
Back