What battery tray is this?

-

Ol'forest

Reaction score
Got this rusty tray in my 75 duster, I'm thinking it's not an original A-body. What is it from if not an A-body? Anyone got any ideas?
Its over an inch longer than normal a-body tray, and fits the 70 and later a-bodys that only use 3 bolts.

20220925_160134.jpg

Last edited:
That's a pre 70. Tray. But what I want to know has anyone seen a tray like this? It's not like any a-body tray I've seen yet is a fit. Was there a bigger battery option perhaps?

Looks a bit longer than your typical 24 series tray, but, I can't tell for sure without some measurements. Maybe one for an optional 27 series battery?

Looks a bit longer than your typical 24 series tray, but, I can't tell for sure without some measurements. Maybe one for an optional 27 series battery?
It's identical to a normal a-body tray but an inch longer and with the side bit that sticks out, makes it a little wider.

I am in the process of replacing the battery in my 1976 Dodge Dart 4-door sedan survivor car that was owned for most of its life by one owner, and the old battery was a Group Size 24 and I decided to replace it with a Group Size 27, and that battery fits the tray like a glove. The physical difference between the 24 and the 27 is only in length, the 27 being 1 3/4 inches longer. In a brochure I saw online for the 1976 Dodge Dart shows there was a factory option of a "500 amp Long Life Battery" and I am guessing with that factory option, the car would come with the longer battery tray and a Group Size 27 battery.

Battery Tray, '76 Dart.jpg

I am in the process of replacing the battery in my 1976 Dodge Dart 4-door sedan survivor car that was owned for most of its life by one owner, and the old battery was a Group Size 24 and I decided to replace it with a Group Size 27, and that battery fits the tray like a glove. The physical difference between the 24 and the 27 is only in length, the 27 being 1 3/4 inches longer. In a brochure I saw online for the 1976 Dodge Dart shows there was a factory option of a "500 amp Long Life Battery" and I am guessing with that factory option, the car would come with the longer battery tray and a Group Size 27 battery.

View attachment 1716086573
Must be pretty rare, sure haven't seen a replacement tray anywhere. I'm wondering why my duster would've needed it in the first place? Just a 225 without A/C.

-
Back