What Bell Housing for BB Duster?

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Anyone know what bell housing will work in a 1976 Duster with a big block? 10.5 or 11 inch clutch? I am considering doing a BB swap, I have a 440 short block sitting in the garage just begging to go in.

Go the 10.5",better clearance among other things,just use real good components such as hp clutch and PP,flywheel,in other words dont cheap out on the clutch etc.. 11" is over-rated and the costs and weight/clearence factors in..there is only a 1/4" difference in the clutch disks if any in todays world even tho 10 1/2" versus 11" is 1/2" difference as far as the math goes...I've measured them many times,11" is a waste of time and money,just my opinion,quality components and a well thought out 101/2" set-up will work well..

Well, if you plan to do any drag racing, I'd advise going with a forged flywheel and a scattershield instead of a bellhousing. However, it's your life and limbs.

If you do decide to go with a scattershield, I see used Lakewood big block scattershields for sale at swap meets, ebay, craigslist, and Mopar related websites.

Well, if you plan to do any drag racing, I'd advise going with a forged flywheel and a scattershield instead of a bellhousing. However, it's your life and limbs.

If you do decide to go with a scattershield, I see used Lakewood big block scattershields for sale at swap meets, ebay, craigslist, and Mopar related websites.

Is a scatter shield a direct swap for a OEM bell housing? Is there more room around a scatter shield? Did a quick search and found a lakewood scattershield, but they don't say what size clutch to use.

I know there isn't much room for headers and the clutch linkage in there and I was thinking about using a hydraulic clutch also.

I wouldn't say direct swap. Yes, it bolts into the same location as a bellhousing and you shouldn't have to do any cutting of the floor, other than installing a 4-speed hump. You will have to create or buy a bellcrank assembly, which includes mount bracket for scattershield, that is a bit differently than stock big block. However, if you go hydraulic clutch, that will take that out of the equation.

Some scattershields limit you to one size clutch and others will let you run either.

-
Back