What Belt to Use??

-

JKrebs

68 GTS
Reaction score
Well I'm getting close to firing up the new 340 for break in and I am in need of a belt to drive the water pump only. I will not have any accessories on the motor and I will be performing the break in on a test stand. The crank and pump are stock pulleys. I was thinking there may be a "stretch belt" that might be available. I have seen the Accu-Link type belts that might work but I'm not sure if I can get the tension I need. I could always just get the extra parts and rig up an additional pulley if needed but i was thinking that if I could get the "perfect" size belt I could remove the water pump pulley and with some effort reinstall the pulley under tension and away I go with one less piece to worry about during break in. Any ideas??

Most belts, the size is part of the partnumber
So put on your pulleys and run a string around them
Measure the string and get that size belt

I have used a piece of rope that fits in the groove and rap it around the pulleys and mark it with a sharpe and lay it out flat and measure between the marks. I really does not need to be real tight to run the water pump.

I would add a tensioner on it also belts stretch and the sides wear down it will come loose.

I have used a piece of rope that fits in the groove and rap it around the pulleys and mark it with a sharpe and lay it out flat and measure between the marks. I really does not need to be real tight to run the water pump.
I’ll give the rope a try and start from there. At least that will give me a starting point. Thanks

Just avoid the 'top cog' types. Sounds like any cheap v belt will do what you need for this. Never heard of any sort of 'stretch' belt...

Just for breakin but I do want to use mechanical pump just to know I’m good.
When I ran in electrical Pump It was really easy to see the water flowing in the radiator. also I agree that if you just want to do it that way and put a belt from the pump to the drive pulley it won't need to be rubber band tight. The water pump once it's up to break in speed doesn't have that much resistance. I think what would scare most people is they haven't seen it before.

When you say Stretch Belt are you talking about those ones that look like braided hair or something? Like you can make any size you want? Looks like a temporary belt to get you from a bad situation. But nothing I would want to run on a break-in and depend on.

IMG_20180907_103216.jpg
:thumbsup:

When you say Stretch Belt are you talking about those ones that look like braided hair or something? Like you can make any size you want? Looks like a temporary belt to get you from a bad situation. But nothing I would want to run on a break-in and depend on.
sounds like chinese finger cuffs

-
Back