What brand R&P gears to use for a rebuild?

-

wjaholic

My car stole my wallet!
Reaction score
I talked my Brother out of a 489 center section that was ran out of gear lube. He told me that he knows the bearings and gears are "burnt up". So I told him I would take it off his hands and rebuild it for my Duster.

I am planning on using the crush sleeve eliminator and going with 3.55 gears.

My question is, What brand of gears should I go with? Motive? Strange? Yukon?

It is mostly a street car and I am not really crazy about noisy gears.

What do you guys think, Have any opinions?

I would price shop all the major manufacturers, along with their shipping costs. You will be surprised some of the cost differences. In my opinion, Yukon has had the best prices, but that was about a year ago. I price shopped all the majors before I bought. Just a thought.

When I had my 8 1/4 rebuilt I went top notch and got Richman 3.91's, that was 14 years ago and tons of mileage on them now--least 50,000, I put on 3,000--4,000 miles a year and have cut way down as gas prices have gone up, when gas was under $2 I was racking up the mileage

Never thought I have it this long but sure glad I got the best gears I could get for it, would stink for them to break

Watch the Ritchmonds,my engine builder bought a set a few years back.Came out of the box with a real rough finish.Almost like the tooling quality was a problem.They howled like hell,checked backlash and pattern,on the money.Took about 4 to 5,000 miles to seat and quiet.

Since I'm sort of in the business, let me tell you this; most R&P gears on the market today, regardless of what it says on the box come from 1 or 2 overseas sources and are re-packaged once they get here. Generally the quality control is pretty good, not like it was about 10 years ago. The key to quiet, long-lasting gears is the set-up and quality of the (Timken) bearings used. Gear set-up is one area where the skill of the technician makes all the difference in the world.
Any one of the above mentioned vendors can meet your needs.
I know that Randy's Ring& Pinion (Yukon) has decent customer service and knowledgeable sales people.
......no, I don't work for them.

Since I'm sort of in the business, let me tell you this; most R&P gears on the market today, regardless of what it says on the box come from 1 or 2 overseas sources and are re-packaged once they get here. Generally the quality control is pretty good, not like it was about 10 years ago. The key to quiet, long-lasting gears is the set-up and quality of the (Timken) bearings used. Gear set-up is one area where the skill of the technician makes all the difference in the world.
Any one of the above mentioned vendors can meet your needs.
I know that Randy's Ring& Pinion (Yukon) has decent customer service and knowledgeable sales people.
......no, I don't work for them.

x2 on everything... especially the bearings and proper break in procedures.
I used to work at a 4wd shop and did a ton of gear work. Now I use DrDiff - Cass Eslick - for my stuff both for price and customer service. Historically I've found Strange to be the strongest and best in terms of quality. I've personally used Strange, plus Yukon, Precision, Richmond, and Motive. None were loud, but a couple were harder than others to get the perfect pattern with. Gears are not the easiest to get right regardless of what some say and you have to have the right tools and patience.

Sold parts for 2 decades,used nothing but Timken since high school.The price diffence is so negligible, it makes no sense at all.In reference to the Ritchmond gears,sitting Nib on the shelf since 88.

I had Richmond before and they were noisy but tolerable I guess. I'm using Motive and they are quite. Cant comment on the others.

I run the Motive in my diff, quiet as a church mouse. I did the setup myself and paid very close attention to assembly and tolerances.

-
Back