What brand radiator are you guys using to cool your 440?

-

Sixpack_Sid

Reaction score
I put a 76 440 motorhome in my 75 duster. I am looking for a reasonably priced aluminum radiator. Any thoughts? It is stock except for the intake .

Thanks Guys!

I used one of these in my 440 challenger, keeps it 190 degrees all the time.

I also used the same model radiator in my dart with a 408. I did have to take it to a radiator shop and have them move the necks to opposite sides for the small block in the A body, and I opened up the radiator support to allow airflow to entire surface area, fits nicely.

I included a video of a similar radiator, even though the video is for a chebby it shows the radiator core nicely.

DODGE Griffin Thermal Products CU-70038 Griffin Performance Fit Radiator Combos | Summit Racing

Haven't put it to the rest yet but I bought a cold case c-body 26 inch, I'll make it fit, it's probably more than I'll need but I'm almost 700 hp, near 13.1 in 471 ci

Last edited:
I've played with different cooling products over the years but this one is the very best I've found for my 72 Challenger 440. In addition to a good radiator/fan setup, be sure to use a quality water pump like the Be Cool. Save money where you can, but don't compromise on quality to save a few bucks. We need our old girls to be dependable too!

26" Big Block Mopar Radiator - Dual HPX Fans And Aluminum Shroud

I used a Cold Case (member here) 26" C-body radiator. It is typically too tall for an A body, but mine had the lower radiator support trimmed before I got it. Never an issue. I will be using one in the Charger as well.

Even though a 440 never came in a Duster, I know purists will hate the rad I chose. Allstar GM style crossflow rad but made for BBM, just using a steel fan so far, need to figure out a shroud but even this stays very cool. 180 cruising all day, will start to heat up to 200 in heavy traffic when its hot out. I think a shroud will fix that.

Allstar Performance ALL30306​

1702991005993.jpeg

Even though a 440 never came in a Duster, I know purists will hate the rad I chose. Allstar GM style crossflow rad but made for BBM, just using a steel fan so far, need to figure out a shroud but even this stays very cool. 180 cruising all day, will start to heat up to 200 in heavy traffic when its hot out. I think a shroud will fix that.

Allstar Performance ALL30306​

View attachment 1716180288
Probably a shroud would help at low speed for sure since it directs the fan draw through the radiator. Low speeds & traffic are where our old girls need the most help!

I run a 3 core Champion 26" radiator with a stock fan and shroud setup in my Duster. It keeps my 440 between 175-185 with a 180 tstat. Even on the hottest of hot days sitting in traffic for an hour, it only made it to 205, and dropped right back down after I started moving.

Ran a 4 row 22" Champion when I first put my 440 into my Dart. Kept it cool. When I stroked it and upped the compression it couldn't keep up. Moved to 26" 2 row from cold case and it fixed my cooling issues.

I used one of these in my 440 challenger, keeps it 190 degrees all the time.

I also used the same model radiator in my dart with a 408. I did have to take it to a radiator shop and have them move the necks to opposite sides for the small block in the A body, and I opened up the radiator support to allow airflow to entire surface area, fits nicely.

I included a video of a similar radiator, even though the video is for a chebby it shows the radiator core nicely.

DODGE Griffin Thermal Products CU-70038 Griffin Performance Fit Radiator Combos | Summit Racing

Good luck getting that to fit on a big block a body. VERY little room between the water pump and radiator.

I put a 76 440 motorhome in my 75 duster. I am looking for a reasonably priced aluminum radiator. Any thoughts? It is stock except for the intake .

Thanks Guys!
Go on line and search for a company called alloyworks
Reasonably priced aluminum radiators for mopars
Most come w built-in shroud and pusher/puller fan
Shutudown4

I am going to be running the Cold Case 22" with dual SPAL fans in my 68 dart with a 470. I have only mocked it up to this point in the below pictures. My dad used the 22" Griffin 1.25" Tube Size 2 row in his Coronet with a 493 and it works well. It will be a tight fit with either one in an A Body, but it fits.

IMG_2190.JPEG

IMG_2191.JPEG

IMG_2193.JPEG

Good luck getting that to fit on a big block a body. VERY little room between the water pump and radiator.

not sure, you could also move the fans to the front of the radiator support so they are pushers. Might just make it.

Thank you for all the replies! Should I stay with the stock water pump?

I won't say you're lookin at this the wrong way, but you're leavin a lot out. That's probably a good way to put it. The radiator of course is very important, but you should be looking at the cooling system as a whole in regards to what you want to do with your car. For example, I've seen some drag cars with $1000 dollar radiators that had problems over heating. On the flip side, I've seen 9 second cars that run cool as a cucumber using stock Chrysler radiators, so it ain't all the radiator by a long shot. The advice I would give you is, don't try to reinvent the wheel here. A lot of times the farther away from stock you get with a cooling system you get, the harder it becomes to keep it cool. There is so much out there on the market and a vendor will tell you whatever you want to hear to get your money, so it's tough to find what works and what doesn't. Normally with cooling systems, staying close to stock works for most everything. There are exceptions like high flow thermostats and high flow water pumps, but by and large the best successes usually come from cooling systems that remain pretty close to what the factory used. Especially with the influx of chinkesium aluminum radiators, you may get a good one and you may not. Lots of times guys chase an over heating problem and say "the radiator is new, it can't be that", when all along it is a crappy made radiator. New and good don't have the same definition in the dictionary and never have.

I run the stock water pump and stock iron water pump housing on mine, like I said above, it stays nice and cool.

Last edited:
Lot of aftermarket available but paint the top black I see stock cars with painted engines and all detailed with a shinny silver chrome looking top I would get the black rattle can out quick if it was mine

-
Back