What bulbs for dash?

-

dustertogo

Reaction score
What's everyone using in their dash? The OEM bulbs are 158s, but I was wondering if I could change them out with something else for a little more light.

Thanks.

When you got to the autoparts store, just ask them what the next brightest number is and go there. I agree, my bulns are dim and annoying.

i have 2 seperate times. it can be done but i will say it isn't that easy. expect a few cuts and gashes. there is a spot somewhere under there that allowed me to get the left side done all the way to the middle. i then was able to do the last 4 from another spot on the right side nearest to the radio. for me a mirror and haveing the parking lights on helps. as i got to each socket i turned it and then watched the light go out on the dash through the mirror. i was able to determin where i was on the layout by doing this. remember though the turn signals and high beam indicator won't be on so there are 3 sockets that you will have to do some looking for. remember to check these before you pull your hand all the way out. it also helps if you have an idea what the cluster looks like from the back side as well.......good luck!

Just do a ebay search for your bulb number and the word LED after it like this 194 LED.

I have been thinking about going with some LED bulbs in the dash of my Dart and in the dash of the 71 Furd pick up. I found these ones on ebay for pretty cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10x-...d=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:10|39:1|240:1318

Anyone ever use them? I was thinking about some green ones for the indash turn signals. You can also use them for your side markers.

hey those do seem pretty cool....i think if i were going to try them i would use them in the side markers first to see how i like thm. that way if you don't like them they won't be hard to take back out like the dash. i haven't seen these before till now. i wonder if there is a place selling them here in the usa vs. hong kong?

Has anybody used the LED bulbs in their dash? I tried using a higher wattage bulb in my dash and in within ten minutes the sockets were so hot you couldn`t touch them. I`d like to get a brighter bulb without the heat associated with the higher watts and these seem to be a viable option.

I found out about them over on http://fordification.com/ (yeah I know, I know) and there are a few guys that have used them in their trucks and were pretty happy with the outcome. I still haven't ordered them yet but when ever I do you can bet I will post the results here.

FWIW, the specified bulb is a 194, a 168 is a brighter bulb. It draws .35 amps verse the .27 amps of a 194.

I swapped over to the 168 and i no longer need to have the brightness cranked up all the way on the headlight switch.

FYI, I decided to do a little resurch on the bulbs and for my car (76 Duster) the original bulbs are 158 so here's what can fit.
#158 14v .24A 3.36W
#194 14v .27A 3.78W
#168 14v .357A 5.0W
Anyone use the 168 and if so do they get to hot?
There are only 3 bulbs that actually need to be brighter and they are not tightly enclosed so I am hoping for the best and am going for the 168's as they should provide the most light and maybe I wont have to turn them all the way up.

this is the main reason i said the 194's. they are brighter than the 158 for sure and you can run these wide open on brightness and they will not get too hot. i have not used the 168's as dgc333 has sugested but in haveing to turn the brightess down to run them it will also affect the surronding lights (radio ashtray ect.) these lights being not as bright to start with will be even dimmer with reduced brightness. true enough the 168's are the brightest, but i for one have not seen if they will get too hot to run without dimming them down some and not causeing harm or possible fire. i know that when i was a member of the classic truck fourm people had had some not so good results useing the 168's. this is why i stayed away from useing them. jmho and .02 cents

FYI, I decided to do a little resurch on the bulbs and for my car (76 Duster) the original bulbs are 158 so here's what can fit.
#158 14v .24A 3.36W
#194 14v .27A 3.78W
#168 14v .357A 5.0W
There are only 3 bulbs that actually need to be brighter and they are not tightly enclosed so I am hoping for the best and am going for the 168's as they should provide the most light and maybe I wont have to turn them all the way up.

I did use the 168`s and they got very hot. I was afraid that I`d start a fire or ruin something so I removed them. They were nominally brighter and didn`t really make that much difference. The 194 may be an alternative but I don`t think you`ll really see a noticeable difference in the brightness of the dash lights.

I did use the 168`s and they got very hot. I was afraid that I`d start a fire or ruin something so I removed them. They were nominally brighter and didn`t really make that much difference. The 194 may be an alternative but I don`t think you`ll really see a noticeable difference in the brightness of the dash lights.

longgone in my use of the 194's vs. the 158's i was able to see a difference in brightness. i would say it is a whiter look as opposed to the greener look. i thought it was noticable enough anyway, so i changed all of mine to the 194's.

Have any of you guys changed bulbs without pulling dash and lowering steeling column?

Yes, Its not a whole bunch of fun. You have to be a contortionist from the chinese circus with good feelie vision because you can't see half of them.

longgone in my use of the 194's vs. the 158's i was able to see a difference in brightness. i would say it is a whiter look as apposed to the greener look. i thought it was noticable enough anyway, so i changed all of mine to the 194's.

I might give those 194`s a go if you think it`s an improvement but the down side of it (like 1969gts said) is installing those boogers.

yeah like i said i do belive it is worth it. the light is somewhat brighter, and it's more white as opposed to the green tint. just go slow it can be done if you take your time........

#158 14v .24A 3.36W
#194 14v .27A 3.78W
#168 14v .357A 5.0W

I have had the 168's in my car for a couple of years now. I wouldn't know whether they got hot or not, no way to get close enough to feel.

I can't imagine that there would be enough of a difference between the stock 3.78 Watts and 5.0 Watts to be a concern.

The 168's do make a noticeable difference in the brightness of the instruments compared to 194's.

-
Back