What caliper is this

-

jrosey

Reaction score
Years ago I took front disk's from a doner car for my 69 dart it's been sitting for 20yrs and I was young and don't remember what car they cam off of was hoping someone could help so I can order new ones... my dad said he thought they were off of a volare?78ish... tried looking up numbers off of it with no luck

20170114_161629.jpg

That's a single piston caliper like the ones on the later a bodies and f bodies...

A bodies in late 69 had four piston kelsey hayes calipers stock...

I guess my question is if I bought a caliper for a 78 volare which looks identical is it the same? I know it's kind of a dumb question but I would have to order it and would be stuck with it if it's not correct. Are all single pistons the same? Different sizes?

It does indeed look like a mid 80's item.It looks a bit like the one on my old 74Dart as well, and the ones I put on a customers 72 Barracuda a while ago.

There were two or three sizes, identifiable by the piston size,so measure yours.
There were also two different caliper brackets, for two different rotor diameters. I do not know if that makes a difference to the caliper.
In any case, it would be poor practice to run one new and one that sat-open-to-atmosphere-for-far-too-long, used one.
I guess you know that to install these on your Dart, you need all the matching parts from a 73 up A-body,right?

Last edited:
Is it the pin type or slide type of caliper??? they made them both ways and you need to know what one you have to get the proper match...

It's a slider type caliper. The piston diameters on the calipers used for the 11 3/4" and 10.95" rotors are usually the same (at least for a few of the years). But, the pistons for the 73-76 A-body calipers were smaller. So there are at least two different sized pistons. Might be more. But regardless of the piston diameters all of those calipers fit all of the brackets, so you can run the larger piston calipers on a-body 10.95" brackets, or A-body calipers with the slightly smaller pistons on 11.75 brackets. As long as they're all slider brackets and calipers.

The piston size isn't a huge difference, but you can get a little more braking power with the non-A body calipers.

bleeder/hose inlet positioning says 79 or older F (or M) to me.
the better caliper (and usually a bit cheaper) is the 1980 F body Aspen/Volare (with metal piston....NOT phenolic) Bleeder and inlet are in a better location, less chance of trapped air. Same caliper otherwise.

Just pulled the set-up from a '76 valli sdn., the calipers are the same as the FMJ's w/a 2.75" piston, '73-'75 A's used a 2.596" piston. As 72blu said, sliders fit all slider brackets,
as long as You've got the right bracket for the dia. rotor you're using.

-
Back