What cam should i use 360 build

-

moparisbest

Reaction score
I'm trying to build an engine for a rat rod
360 .030 over h405p pistons. J heads 2.02/1.60, Manley stainless valve, Three angle valve job, Manley double springs good for .500, Going to use eddy tunnel ram single four barrel . Just wanted to see if any of the engine builders here could recommend cam and carb size to use ? Thanks

I can only make recommendations of what I consider a rat rod? Meaning a cool looking cruiser. You didn't mention how much of a "race" sound you'd like or how much "drivability" is involved? Not to mention weight, gearing, converter, etc?

My opinion is, you need enough carb to take up the large plenum with a single TR. I'd probably go with a 750DP type carb with well tuned pump nozzles and as much initial timing as the combo can handle for "drivability".

Cam choice can be all over the place. Lot's of the "off the shelf" grinds can give you sound/drivability.....it really depends on the specs of your combo & and what you want from this build?

Gear, converter and vehicle weight will help.

I can only make recommendations of what I consider a rat rod? Meaning a cool looking cruiser. You didn't mention how much of a "race" sound you'd like or how much "drivability" is involved? Not to mention weight, gearing, converter, etc?

My opinion is, you need enough carb to take up the large plenum with a single TR. I'd probably go with a 750DP type carb with well tuned pump nozzles and as much initial timing as the combo can handle for "drivability".

Cam choice can be all over the place. Lot's of the "off the shelf" grinds can give you sound/drivability.....it really depends on the specs of your combo & and what you want from this build?
ok I'm looking for that hemi style sound that rap rap rap rap because it will have strait pipes for exhaust I will be putting the engine in a 1929 Plymouth and will be using a 8.75 rear with 391 gears trans is 727 with unknown converter at this point

Very cool 29'...

Virtually dozens of cams could fit the bill on this, but i'll go a little off the beaten path and choose Comps "340" replica grind :).

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=643&sb=0

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl20-309-4/overview/make/dodge

Should give a nice "rat rod" sound, definitely help performance, and produce decent vacuum.....which is always a plus running a single TR.

Good luck. Can't wait to see it when it's done. :thumbrig:

P.S. In the rat rod theme, I'd have no problem running a "inexpensive" Summit, Jegs, B&M style 11" converter in the 2500 stall range with the 3.91's & the cam combo I suggested.

-
Back