What cam should I use on 318?

-
Just semi joking. No real worries. But sometimes threads take a weird turn and the original poster never gets answered and becomes second banana if he is lucky.

To all that responded - thanks so much for all your advice. This was EXTREMELY helpful!!!!!! After taking everything into account, factoring in specs, cost and availability, I'm going with the COMP XE262. I'll let you all know how it works out. Thanks again - this thread is testament to how awesome this forum can be!

Lunati VooDoo 10200701
Performer, Action Plus, or stock 340/360 4bbl intake
500 or 600 cfm carb
Good Manifolds or TTI/Dougs headers

Degree cam, use recommended valve springs, use a new quality chain and the Magnum chain tensioner.

Not to hijack, I am looking for clarification on a subject.

I have pretty much everything you're recommending here on my 318 except the headers (which are on the list) and the timing chain tensioner.

I've been searching and I am not seeing WHY one needs to suddenly put a tensioner, on an engine that's been running fine for the last 48 years without one. What does my engine benefit for the $45 +/- that the tensioner gives. That $45 can go to some other parts, like break in oil for said cam...

I found a link to what it does here, but not the WHY it's needed on a 318.
http://repairpal.com/timing-chain-tensioner

Not to hijack, I am looking for clarification on a subject.

I have pretty much everything you're recommending here on my 318 except the headers (which are on the list) and the timing chain tensioner.

I've been searching and I am not seeing WHY one needs to suddenly put a tensioner, on an engine that's been running fine for the last 48 years without one. What does my engine benefit for the $45 +/- that the tensioner gives. That $45 can go to some other parts, like break in oil for said cam...

I found a link to what it does here, but not the WHY it's needed on a 318.
http://repairpal.com/timing-chain-tensioner

Put in a new timing set and forget the tensioner. period.

I bought a tensioner for my 360 mag and my engine builder didn't want to use it (and he really knows his stuff). It's not really made for a double rolller timing chain.

-
Back