What Cam would you suggest with this

-
The car club I'm in goes to events up to 4 or 5 hours away. A bit better fuel mileage would be a bonus. Plus then I'm saving the $$ I won't need for the TC.

01 it is. , covers my rpm range, no cost for headers or TC, great throttle response and decent mileage compared to the larger cams and save a bit a gas on the long hauls. Only thing I "lose" is some of that idle attitude . Ok with that after seeing the big picture.

This thread has been immensely helpful. Appreciate all the input. Keep the posts coming if something comes to mind.

So I can keep my stock rockers , but buy new lifters with the cam. Need new springs ?

If you go with the 02, then IMHO, I'd plan on a TC change. And keep in mind, the higher the cam duration and stall speed, the more that it can adversely impact fuel mileage. That may or may not be important to you.

Guys tend to go with bigger cams, but it's not always better.

I would change the springs, especially if they are original. You might what to change the valve stem oil seals too.

Your valve lift will be significantly higher. So you have to keep in mind the possibility of the valve springs binding...I'm not saying for sure it will but you have to think about that or get info from someone who knows.... maybe 318willrun. Plus you may just have a spring or 2 that are weak now... it would be a shame to compromise the new cam with a couple of wimpy old springs in there...

If you want to rev higher, then stiffer valve springs keep the valve train under control better. They will push higher the RPM at which valve float starts. Perhaps some as simple as stock 340 springs will do the job.

See post #20 here:
.454 lift too much for stock valve springs?

-
Back