what cam??

-

devil dawg

Reaction score
hey guys, im needing a little advise. first ill let ya know what i have. i have a 72 duster with a 440. its a motorhome engine, std bore, purple 6pack cam, 10-1 comp, 440 source alm heads, performer rpm intake and a holley 750, 727 trans w/kit, 3.23 rear. what im wanting to do is go to a 12-1 piston, single plane intake, a little portwork. i like the way it runs but i want to make it meaner on the track but still be able to drive it on the street. not gonna be a daily driver but.....any ideas?

find a solid lifter cam with the short duration and lift between .550" and .600" and a holley 850-950dp. this should get you into the mid 11's. to really get a good answer call your favorite cam company up.

And go to a 3.91 or 3.73 rear gear with a 3500 stall converter from a reputable company. If you decide to change the gears and converter know what you're going to before talking to the cam guys. For street/strip I'd keep the Performer RPM and 10 to 1 comp allows you to use pump premium and yes that 750 is way to small, hell I'm running that on a 383. What do you got for headers.

i had planned on going 373...410 depending on what was the best for my application. i have tri-y headers.

I'm running a 750 Holley Dp and running 10.70's off the juice.

IMGP0230.jpg

I'd stick the MP .528 solid in it (budget choice), the Comp XE268H, or the Lunati 60302. The Lunati will need a psring upgrade, and I'd reaplce the retainers and locks if you didnt when you got the heads.
Lose the thought of "12:1" pistons. If you want to properly rebuild it to run hard on pump swill, then do it. It won't use "12:1" pistons.

What times are you planning on running.
We can help you more if we had more info.

Like-I'm running 10.70's with 28 inch tall tire's with 4.10 gears 11.5 comp on pump gas street legal car.

Or I want to run in the 12's,what do I need.

More info more help

well, id like to have it run in the 9s but i dont think it would be very streetable that way. 11s would be good and still be streetable. or even a high 10 as long as i could still drive it and not have to worry about heating the engine or trans by driving 25-35 through town.

-
Back