What came in it.

-

Russ 34

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a 67 barracuda. It has a 318 in it but I know it's not original. Trying to figure out the code to see what came in it from the factory. The way I read it, it had a six in it. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi everyone. I have a 67 barracuda. It has a 318 in it but I know it's not original. Trying to figure out the code to see what came in it from the factory. The way I read it, it had a six in it. Any help would be appreciated.
The fifth character in your VIN is a letter which identifies the original engine. What is that letter?

Sure, let me look in my crystal ball or post the vin tag, fender tag or build sheet.

You need a service manual, anyhow, go to MyMopar and download one, free. It has the decode stuff in the front of the manual. You may have to accept Dodge/ vs Plymouth manual. Otherwise, google "mopar vin decode" or some such and you will find lots. I think MyMopar also has a decoder on their site

If the VIN has a B in position 5, it's a slant 6. E is a 273 Commando V8. Those are the ones I know offhand. Google "Mopar VIN Decoder 1966-1974".

D in the fifth space would indicate a 273 2bbl, and an H means it came with the Formula S 383 4bbl engine.
Those engines, and the ones listed above by mvh were the only ones normally available.

-
Back