What camshaft to use and stall question

-

mopargocar

Reaction score
Building a 340 for my 74 Plymouth Valiant Brougham. It's a 71 block 40 over with 360 heads (#3418915D) that was originally 1.88 now 2.02/1.60. Intake will be a Weiand Stealth Dual Plane 8022 with a Holley 650 DP. 8 3/4 rear with 3.91 gears. 727 tf manual valve body w shift kit. I bought a Boss Hog 2800-3200 11 inch stall converter as well. When I bought it I didn't realize it was 11 inch. Full TTI setup from headers to dynomax turbo mufflers (3 inch) The car will be driven to shows and cruises but I would like it to perform as well. I don't want to over cam it and affect performance. With the stall being an 11 inch converter is it common to indeed stall to 2800-3200? I think 10 inch converter when i think of around 3000 rpm's.

Usually the converter is the last thing to consider as it is designed to work with the combo you put together.

Just word to the wise. Sell the Boss Hog. Get a good converter.

X2 quality converter is the key to any good combo. Don't cheap out. :violent1:

Agreed.The only 11"inch,I would trust: Turbo Action. THEY WORK.

.............Either cam will be good......if in doubt pick the smaller 1........the 915 head came with 2.02 valves from the factory....ditch boss hog...kim........

I think you would like a little larger cam with your combo. If I would have known sooner that they removed the zink from oil and it tends to wipe out cams before I scrapped 3 I would have went roller. They make more horsepower because the valve is open farther longer and no worries with the lobes going flat. This one would work for you. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUNATI-318-...-VOODOO-HYD-ROLLER-CAM-CAMSHAFT-/171015245668
Just have to make sure your valve springs are correct for this much lift.

i run a ptc 9.5 and it is a good convertor for the money.give em a call

Are you planning to use stock springs or going aftermarket to match the cam?

Generally the larger the convertor the cheaper, and the more limited in performance applications. An 11" could be made to stall up to 3K, but it will not be tight above it's stall speed. A 10" can't be made to stall below about 2200. Your combo has everything to do with where the convertor ultimately stalls at - whicch is why most guys that go the semi-custom or custom route are much happier. The builder makes it for YOUR car with YOUR engine. For what you're talking about I think a lower stall would be preferable with a milder cam.
The XE268 and either a 10 or 11" with a stall around 2500 would be my recommendations.

Going with the Lunati 268/276 Voodoo cam with the matching springs. Compression with be 10.5.1. Still debating on which stall.

I would like to thank everyone who commented with some insight.
Thank You

You might have detonation issues if the static compression is really where you state.

didn't we just talk about this the other day????:eek:ops:but WELCOME to the best damn mopar site on the net.If I missed that thread!:violent1:............Artie

-
Back