What can I expect it to run?

-
PTC converters are great converters, alot of the turbo buick guys run them as i have as well. Also the turbo buicks mostly run 3.42 gears and some of them run 9s so i dont see why the 3.55s wont work also on a boosted build.

Just my opinions here... I'd like to see a 4 series gear. A lower gear will make it easier to drive in terms of acceleration and make wheel spin less of an issue. It also puts the engine nearer peak hp at the stripe in third rather than driving through the convertor and making a lot of heat. I wouldn't compare any turbo cars to a blower car. They both make boost, and some blowers have similar pressure maps (not the positive displacement ones like this), but they are very different animals. Some of my friends back in the 90s ran Buicks down into the 8s. Huge turbo'd sixes are nothing like a positive displacement blower 8 cyl.

I know turbo cars are not the same as this twin screw Kenne Bell... however I'm just going on gear ratio, tire size, and tranny gear to determine that I should be crossing the line at around 6700 which is about where I want to be.

PTC built the TC for boost so hopefully it will preform as expected... The trans is built to survive as well... what do you mean by more gear? I had 4.10's but seeing what others were doing with this instant boost of the twin screw Kenne Bell I figured 3.50 would be more suitable.

Yes like money money money! you can go as fast as you want with lots of money! lol and on this build I'm about all tapped!
Trans ratios 1st 2nd 3rd .... ?? did i miss something.

I think you will be fine with the 3.50 Gears getting it into the 9's. Mine will be Boosted with Turbo's as you already know and I will be running the same gear as you 3.50's in a Ford 9" that I will be swapping out the 8 3/4 for.

an someone explain the ford 9 in rears??? I thought the pinion shaft is actually smaller than the 741 center for a 8-3/4 Not bashing just want to learn--Are the fords easier to work on or something???? Thanks Steve

an someone explain the ford 9 in rears??? I thought the pinion shaft is actually smaller than the 741 center for a 8-3/4 Not bashing just want to learn--Are the fords easier to work on or something???? Thanks Steve

I don't know much about them accept that the Pinion has 2 bearings on it that are supported by the Pinion Carrier. 1 on the backside at the pinion gear and one on the front side of the Pinion Carrier. The bearing races are facing opposite so when you assemble the Pinion Carrier and tighten it down and set the crush there is support on both ends of the pinion. The Pinion Carrier can be removed/installed as one unit to the Case with the Pinion assembled. There are a huge variety of parts available too. All parts are Cheaper than the 8 3/4, cases, bearings, gasket sets, gears etc. Not to mention all the different gear ratio's available. Unlike the 8 3/4 where we only have a few choices. Any gears under 3.55 for the 8 3/4 742 or 489 case will just about need to be purchased used because new ones do not exist. A well built 9" will take some serious power 1200++ easily. A back brace is usually required over 600HP because they tend to bend without one is what I am told.

Peak power seems a little high. Has this thing hit the dyno yet? I'd expect to see peak lower... Will that s/c really feed 10psi at that rpm? (not my expertise so I'm honestly asking...) What speeds are you calculating that off of, and what did PTC give you for slippage?

Peak power seems a little high. Has this thing hit the dyno yet? I'd expect to see peak lower... Will that s/c really feed 10psi at that rpm? (not my expertise so I'm honestly asking...) What speeds are you calculating that off of, and what did PTC give you for slippage?

Moper,
This same unit has seen 18psi at 6450 rpm in a 4400lb challenger (2008) running 9.50's I know conservatively my build on motor will make 420 RWHP all day... add 10 psi to that and I'm over 600rwhp. PTC built this TC to flash at 3500 depending on my hp and tq levels.. I guessing my car will weigh in at around 3200lbs... thoughts?

Ah. Gotcha. Are your long blocks similar (to that Challenger)? Remember what you see as "boost" is really a representation of the restriction of the intake system vs the force of the blower. You can make 20psi and not make much power with it, or you can make 5 psi and really make some steam all depending on the quality of the top end and cam. The only experience I have with the Kenne Bells were with the Mustangs in the early 2000's and my recollection is they never made the power they were supposed to. I'm sure they've improved since then...
On the convertor - The flash is not what concerns me. That blower is not like a centrifical or turbo - it builds boost immediately so the flash will be higher anyway. What concerns me is the shell diameter and the slippage in high gear. It almost sounds like when you spoke to them you emphsized "streetable" and "street car" so you have a street convertor as a result. Not a huge problem, but a compromise in convertor can really raise the ET. It's the same thing when someone orders a race convertor for thier street car and it stalls too high and the street performance suffers...
The larger the diameter of the shell the worse the slippage above the brake stall rating. My preference would be something like an 8" with anti-ballooning plates (like a NO2 convertor). My gut says you will be trapping at a much higher rpm just because of the slippage. You'll have to report how she goes.

Mopar,

Yes it the exact same engine.. however my heads and cam are actually better than what his are... I'll let you know about the TC as I'm curious as well now.

Getting closer... hoping to fire it up next wk and get some 60' shots.

-
Back