What can you tell me about a an 89 318?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

There's a 318 out of an 89 pickup for sale near me. I'm thinking of picking it up to fool around with.

Would this have 302 heads or anything cool at all on it?

Thanks

Steve

that's a factory roller hydraulic w/swirl port heads. great motor.
still oils the shaft mounted rockers through the block. nice motor...needs better heads, 650 carb, rpm air gap, a .470" lift cam and a real 9-1 comp

it would make a great a body dd

The original 318 in my '89 D100 did not have the '302 heads; it had heads with big stone-age open chambers. Factory roller cam/lifters, though.

Thanks for the help. I might pick this thing up. Is there anywhere obvious I can look to see if its got the swirl port castings on it?

Steve

I don't think so LX guy, the heads will or should have to be removed to see the casting numbers. Though, a small mirror under the head might reveal the casting numbers in the middle when the intake is off.

I agree with this engine making a excellent DD engine and with a few upgraded parts, it can be a fun and spirted driver with the abilty of easy 14's with some gear.

I've got an 85 vintage 318/roller that is going to be the basis for my turbo build. I have not decided if I'm gonna stroke it or not and if I do, how much? LOL once I get that decided I can decide on heads and cam......

I had that thing in my dart with 3.91 gears and drove it all over the country at 4 grand! I pulled it from a 5th ave and yanked the pan, oil pump, intake, rockers and push rods. I scrubbed it out with engine degreaser 3 times and then blasted it off with the garden hose...LOL...left the stock roller in it and sold the hyd flat summit cam to a guy at work. I used a blower to dry it for like and hour! LOL then lubed the crap out of it with marvel myster oil (what's in that stuff?) I put it back together with the epa port next to the exhaust port sealed shut and installed my stock 69 340 intake..nice mismatch, I'm sure...but it still pulled to 5500 LOL

P.S. When i said earlier that it needs better heads....that was subjective, as in more power argg, arg....LOL
The factory heads are pretty decent.

Are you getting it at a decent price Steve? I ask because I'm trying to help sell a complete 1990 360 roller motor with a A518 for a buddy and it runs real good. I'm not much more than 100 miles from you.

fishy with the possible hook up!

I did a quick search on Marvel Mystery Oil.........

Marvel Mystery Oil is a light viscosity oil, roughly equivalent to an SAE 3W, containing (among other things) about 20 percent solvent (probably mineral spirits), dye, wintergreen for smell, and 790 PPM of a phosphorous additive.

I'd rather it remain a mystery! LOL

Are you getting it at a decent price Steve? I ask because I'm trying to help sell a complete 1990 360 roller motor with a A518 for a buddy and it runs real good. I'm not much more than 100 miles from you.

Hey man!

How much?

Sent you a PM.

-
Back