What car deal did you get back in the day?

-
In the mid to late 90’ I paid $1800 for a 69 M-code GTS plus 68 383 4-speed Dart GTS.
I should have added that the 440 GTS had a fresh 20 over motor in it which I installed in my M-code cuda. Neither my cuda or the 440 GTS had the numbers matching engine so switching them wasn’t an issue. Later on a friend of mine gave me the numbers matching block for the 440 GTS.

1986 from Hemmings Motor News
1970 Dart Swinger 318, automatic 8 3/4 A/C
27000 miles - $2500
here it is today with 78,000 miles
IMG_1163.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG

'69 Doge Dart Swinger 340. $800 in 1981. Same car I still own today but was bronze with a white vinyl top, white bumblebee stripe and a white interior. I HATED the combination at the time and decided that it HAD to be yellow with a black vinyl top, black stripe and a black interior. I now really like the original combo but it's too much work and money to ever change it back.

Last edited:
I bought a running, driving 65 Barracuda off the back row of the local Olds dealership for $25 in 1975. Around 1985, I bought a 70 Challenger RT roller for $75. It was a 383 4 spd car with air, and the 4 speed was still in it! It's in Switzerland now.

In Jan. 68 I ordered a Road Runner hardtop, 383 and 4 speed. The dealer had a GTX Hemi on the floor and offered it to me for $3600 in stead of the RR. The Road Runner was only $3000 and still being in the Service couldn't afford the extra money. By the way I came home every weekend putting on about 400 miles and knew the hemi wouldn't be as economical as the 383. The thought was if you don't buy it this year it would be available in the years to come. Who knew the Govt. again would step in and F___ things up. I bought a Crate Hemi, 472, in 2002 when they started to build them again, so I don't feel I got cheated out of a Hemi, although I would have a better car with the GTX.

Another car I missed was a 58 Plymouth 4 door Belvedere hardtop. My Dad took me to see it about 7PM in the winter so it was pretty dark. Guy said car was just repainted and it was black. He starts it up and it sounds very healthy, so I go to the rear and see dual exhaust. I then asked to open the hood and there sat a 350 with the 2 four barrels. I had to have this car. My Dad said we'll come back tomorrow mourning and look at the car in day light. So next AM I call the guy and the car was sold. To spite my Dad because I was pissed on missing that car I bought the 55 Chevy.

I bought a one owner 1969 Charger R/T SE with 60,000 miles for $1200 in 1982. Beautiful condition. Car is still out in the shop.

1964 Sport Fury convertible, 426 wedge. Bought it complete from a wrecking yard, 1800.00 dollars...1978.

Not a deal I got but a deal I missed, mid 90's, kid at work's Dad had a Challenger, met him at a car show, it was a TA that he had from new and customized for the shows in the early 70's, candy paint, fur interior, chrome everything, original plum car, 4 speed white interior, he needed some money and was I trying to make a deal, guy swooped in and bought it , an original owner, no rust T/A, crap missed by that much!!!

-
Back