What Carb for Poly Stroker

-
I know, right? Too bad wisdom usually only comes with age. lol
A guy about 60 miles away used to be the Chrysler dealer in the town back at the end of the muscle car hay days. When fuel and insurance costs went to the moon, he took in lots of Hemi, 440 6 Pack, 383 Super Bees. You name it. Has a couple of warehouses with real low miles cars. He has sold a few, and he knows the values of each, so no bargans to be had.

A guy about 60 miles away used to be the Chrysler dealer in the town back at the end of the muscle car hay days. When fuel and insurance costs went to the moon, he took in lots of Hemi, 440 6 Pack, 383 Super Bees. You name it. Has a couple of warehouses with real low miles cars. He has sold a few, and he knows the values of each, so no bargans to be had.
We knew a guy like that when I was in grammar school. He lived in a neighborhood kinda cattycornered across the street from the school. He had all kinda of badass Mopars. Super Bees, Superbirds, Daytonas, Hemi cars, you name it, he probably had it. He lived on a double lot, so he had the room. I remember in the 7th grade his house caught fire and also got the adjacent long pole barn where all the other cars were kept that weren't in his garage. Burned them all to the ground. If I remember right, I think he was killed in the fire, too. I have a friend from school I still go to the Waffle House with every now and then. I know he remembers that guy because we've talked about it before. I'll have to ask him if he remembers whether or not he was killed in the fire, too. I think he was.

We knew a guy like that when I was in grammar school. He lived in a neighborhood kinda cattycornered across the street from the school. He had all kinda of badass Mopars. Super Bees, Superbirds, Daytonas, Hemi cars, you name it, he probably had it. He lived on a double lot, so he had the room. I remember in the 7th grade his house caught fire and also got the adjacent long pole barn where all the other cars were kept that weren't in his garage. Burned them all to the ground. If I remember right, I think he was killed in the fire, too. I have a friend from school I still go to the Waffle House with every now and then. I know he remembers that guy because we've talked about it before. I'll have to ask him if he remembers whether or not he was killed in the fire, too. I think he was.
Sad day when a whole barn full of collector cars goes up in smoke. Bad if they burn outside but in a building the wallas hold the heat in and they get real hot. I don't think the iron blocks are salvageable.
Working instrumentation a few years ago I saw Wuahkesha
V12 natural gas engines after the compressor package burned. All the aluminium covers melted off with the rocker cover aluminium in the oil pan.

66 Sat,
You choose what you like. I have been doing this for 50 yrs. Yes, not an apples to apples comparison. The Charger v GT test pitted a 625 cfm carb against a 830 cfm carb. The extra 200 cfm didn't do much, as the GT was slower in acceleration. During the muscle car era, 4 bbl Chrys cars were head of the pack for performance.....& they had AVS or AFB carbs.

When the popular small blocks were tested in 1969 to see if their developed HP matched the adv hp, only one engine did: the 340 & it made 20 hp more than adv!!!!!! Nearly 300 hp with a little 625 AVS, factory exh manifolds. The Ford 351 made the lowest hp & guess what carb it had...

View attachment 1716173169

That's because Chrysler under rated the 340 to get it into the class with other small blocks, but NHRA soon recognized that the 340's were better and 'factored' them into the higher class with the 383 & 396 big blocks...

Or as an old friend of mine, Hemi Greg, used to say, "340's are small blocks that don't know it"...

Well the carburetor arrived, but I need the wooden Edelbrock spacer to get here before I put in on. That should be here Monday.
First impressions: smaller and lighter than the Holley 1850 600, and way lighter than the 700 double pumper.
Seems a quality piece, MADE IN THE USA is reassuring, looking forward to getting it installed. I'll take the top off on the weekend and have a look inside.
20231207_163815.jpg

20231207_173209.jpg

Sad day when a whole barn full of collector cars goes up in smoke. Bad if they burn outside but in a building the wallas hold the heat in and they get real hot. I don't think the iron blocks are salvageable.
Working instrumentation a few years ago I saw Wuahkesha
V12 natural gas engines after the compressor package burned. All the aluminium covers melted off with the rocker cover aluminium in the oil pan.
Yes it was. I talked to my friend and he said like I did that he is almost positive the man died in the fire. I think that's right. This was a very long time ago. If I had to guess, I'd say probably about 1973.

Well the carburetor arrived, but I need the wooden Edelbrock spacer to get here before I put in on. That should be here Monday.
First impressions: smaller and lighter than the Holley 1850 600, and way lighter than the 700 double pumper.
Seems a quality piece, MADE IN THE USA is reassuring, looking forward to getting it installed. I'll take the top off on the weekend and have a look inside.
View attachment 1716175237

View attachment 1716175238
They're supposed to be very good carburetors. I've not tried one yet. Maybe one of these days.

View attachment 1716175237

View attachment 1716175238

Old Holley’s are made of a zinc based materiel and the Carter/Edelbrock’s are made of aluminum. New Holley’s and all the clones are now made from aluminum. That’s the weight difference.

Won't it bolt on without a spacer? Just a gasket. It has the dual mounting pattern. You would need to check that any passages in the carb base are covered by the carb pad on the manifold.

Observation: the pump arm is in the 2nd hole to give more pump shot. In all the years of using these carbs, I have always been able to use the outer hole which gives less pump shot & better mileage. Efficiency of the design.

When removing the top, you only need to remove the circlip on the pump rod. The assy stays in the airhorn.

Yes it will bolt up but I bought this Edelbrock spacer after watching a video on Youtube of some guy reviewing the AVS2 who reckons it's a must to avoid heat related issues (vapor lock etc) due the aluminum construction. The spacer is due to arrive Monday.
I thought about putting the carb on this weekend onto my existing aluminum spacer/adapter (or straight on the manifold) and then swapping it next week but I'm older and a bit more patient now, so I'll probably do the job just once after work on Monday or Tuesday.
s-l1600.jpg

Yes it will bolt up but I bought this Edelbrock spacer after watching a video on Youtube of some guy reviewing the AVS2 who reckons it's a must to avoid heat related issues (vapor lock etc) due the aluminum construction. The spacer is due to arrive Monday.
I thought about putting the carb on this weekend onto my existing aluminum spacer/adapter (or straight on the manifold) and then swapping it next week but I'm older and a bit more patient now, so I'll probably do the job just once after work on Monday or Tuesday.
View attachment 1716175547
Those wooden spacers are supposed to be da shizzle for keeping the carburetor cool.

Observation: the pump arm is in the 2nd hole to give more pump shot. In all the years of using these carbs, I have always been able to use the outer hole which gives less pump shot & better mileage.
Do you mean the top hole?

Also what's this hole? Do I need to plug.it?
20231208_175141.jpg

Finally the choke. I bought the manual choke version because I don't need it where I live. Should I wire this one open or remove the flap altogether?

No, he's talking about the pump arm in the front of the carburetor.

I know. I changed it from the middle hole to the top hole about half hour ago.

I thought that was the fitting on the front of the carb? It's on the back on the Holleys.
20231208_205333.jpg

Pump arm hole. Use the outer hole [ least amount of pump shot ]. The hole that is closest to the front of the car.
As others have said, the large hole at the carb rear is a vacuum accessory port. Block off if not needed.

View attachment 1716175547

Those wooden spacers are supposed to be da shizzle for keeping the carburetor cool.

I've always run this 5/16" thick gasket with no fuel boiling problems...

I had the 800 Edel AFB carb, manual choke model, on my GTO. Never needed the choke.
If Edel has continued the practice with the AVS carbs that they used with the AFBs, then the man choke is considered as the 'performance' model & is jetted slightly richer than the auto choke 'economy model'. With that carb, I could punch the throttle at walking speed in top gear & never had it stumble.....& it did not have the annular boosters!

I ran the AVS Thunder series 800 w/ manual choke and it worked great right out of the box on my 408. I bought a tuner kit for the dyno and we sent it back to Summit unopened. Great carb!

Same here with the 800 AFB. Worked great out of the box, didn't need the tuning kit.

So I set the floats and locked off the choke by putting a thick washer onto the shaft where it pivots and tightening it down.
The floats were way off from what the manual specs are. There are 2 settings. First you have to set them with the top of the carb upside down. I set them at 7/16". Then you turn it over and set the hang. I set them at 1".
It's all a bit imprecise for my liking, bending arms and tabs. I'd prefer a solid arm and a screw adjustment but I suppose they are all like this, it's the first time I've done this. I just think bending metal leads to fatigue and possible changes over time.

20231210_163518.jpg

20231210_164052.jpg

-
Back