What carb to buy?

-

Srumple

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Dodge dart with a /6. Completly stock except for flowmaster muffler. I want to built it a little. I bought a super six intake and was wondering on suggestions for carb purchase. I want to keep the /6 for a while so i will be pulling it out and re gasketing the motor at least. I have heard of shaving the head. Any thoughts? I have a budget but its not like I only have 100.00 bucks to spend. I would appreciate any input for building the motor. Thanks in advance. I want it to be a daily driver.

I would try and find a NOS Carter BBD. There's plenty of parts and info on them, they get good mileage for a daily driver and most people are familiar with them and will be able to help you out if problems arise.

If you go looking for one, remember you have to get a slant six BBD. The 318 BBD's are basically the same except you'll have to fabricate a linkage to pull the choke off. Also some of them have holes in the throttle plates that you'll have to close up.

Unless you're going to change the cam, port the head, and run headers, I'd leave it alone and keep it a 1bbl. for the street. The 2bbl eats more gas and only gives a tiny performance gain on a stock motor. Too convert to a stock 2bbl setup you'll need an air cleaner and 2bbl. kickdown linkage too.....

I think I have a Carter BBD carb kicking around in my garage, bought it for my old truck never used, if interested let me know

Ordered a stock 2bbl from a memeber here..I am looking forward to putting a cam in the car maybe headers ... Linkage. will it be hard to convert my stock 1bbl carb linkage or do i need to find some?

Unless you're going to change the cam, port the head, and run headers, I'd leave it alone and keep it a 1bbl. for the street. The 2bbl eats more gas and only gives a tiny performance gain on a stock motor. Too convert to a stock 2bbl setup you'll need an air cleaner and 2bbl. kickdown linkage too.....

I gotta disagree with you on the 2bbl eating gas. A lot of people get better mpg's with 2bbl's, especially around town. You really gotta stomp on a 1bbl to get it up to speed from a stop, where you just have to roll into a 2bbl. It's not a huge performance gainer but you can definitely tell the difference. You don't need headers, just a 2 1/4" exhaust to get the full performance out of it.

I agree you will get better milage with the 2 barrel, the single barrel carb is always working at 100% But with the new found power you will be in it a lil more too ! A couple of people have told me not to get headers for my dart, why is that?

I agree you will get better milage with the 2 barrel, the single barrel carb is always working at 100% But with the new found power you will be in it a lil more too ! A couple of people have told me not to get headers for my dart, why is that?

If your Dart just has a standard slant six with no performance upgrades, then getting headers is just kind of a waste. I don't know what the actual figures are, but it's just one of those deals where its like is $600 worth 5hp on a stock engine? It's kind of like getting too big a carb for the motor. Bigger isn't always better unless you compensate for it by doing performance upgrades to the engine.

I have decided against the headers.. With the super six intake and 2bbl carb...Cam? Any ideas?

Yeah. A stock one. I forget which year it was, but there was a nice stock grind that was well over .400 lift. .416...somethin like that. It was a good one. Remember if you go aftermarket to stay small. Try to resist the urge to put a big bumpstick in it. around 440-465 lift max with 210-220 degrees duration @.050 lift would work good.

Stock cam? Where would i look at a dodge dealer or mancini racing? Any place..sorry for all the questions but i looked at summit and nothing there fit the criteria that you had said

Yeah. A stock one. I forget which year it was, but there was a nice stock grind that was well over .400 lift. .416...somethin like that. It was a good one. Remember if you go aftermarket to stay small. Try to resist the urge to put a big bumpstick in it. around 440-465 lift max with 210-220 degrees duration @.050 lift would work good.

Thanks, will look into that. Send a tracking nuber when you get that stuff shipped. Im anxious. Thanks again for all your help StrokerScamp

-
Back