what causes this to happen

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
while I am dealing with a few problems this week with the Duster, what causes the problem where you have to pump the **** out of the accelerator when the car sits for a few days or a week to get it to start. Is it the fuel pump weak or what. Might as well fix that too. thanks,Bill

Mine does the same. When you park the car the gas in the carb boils off leaving no fuel in the carb the next time you try to start it. Do you have a spacer under the carb?

Is the choke working correctly, normally with the choke closed one slow push of the gas petal should all that is need to start right up.

this is why i love my electric fuel pump. i turn it on right before i hit the key and it fires up with a light tap of the gas.

..if you are boiling the carb dry just start it after a half hour or so to fill the carb and don't let it get hot.

well I just ordered a spacer from Jegs and I guess that will cure the problem. I have a manual choke on it and it is not hooked up because I only drive it in the summer. I thought either the pump was weak or maybe the fuel was draining back and losing prime or something.thanks

I think maybe your fuel is going back to the tank. Wait till the car is completely cool, then pull the coil wire. Crank the car for a bit, then see if the accelerater pump squirts fuel. If not, crank it some more for 5 or six seconds at a time to keep the starter cool. After the accelerator begins to shoot fuel, crank it a couple seconds more to be sure the carb is full. Put the coil wire back on, replace the air cleaner, and close the hood. Let it sit for a few days, then go out and try to start it. If heat was your only problem it should start fairly easy. I drove my 440 for years up north with no choke at all. Pump it two or three times if real cold, hit the key and it would run.

well that is what I thought too. what can you do to keep the fuel from going back to the tank. If I remember right, didn't you have a inline filter between the pump and the carb. that had like a check valve in it to allow the fuel to stay in the carb. till the engine started and the fuel was picked up by the pump.

My '74 does it, and I always figured it was the fuel pump. Been like that for ages. One day I'll swap out the pump and see what happens.

The gas is drainin back out of the carb if its an eddy. Have same prob with the charger with 750 eddy and manual choke that is non opperational

I have a fuel filter between the pump and the carb already.. I am going to put on a spacer and see if that helps. some say the gas is boiling out. But it doesn't do that when I sit all day at a show. I would think if it is boiling out, it would be gone after the engine cools down.

It isnt boiling out it is because the carb sits and doesnt have fuel bowls like holleys. Have a spacer on it and still does it so just no fix except start it every 3 days or so. Been able to let it sit for a week and start right up

Gas does not drain back out of the carbs, it's physically impossible with a needle and seat that are above the fuel level.
It evaporates from the heat and sitting.
Eddie's are more prone to it because of thier design and the fact that they hold less fuel in the bowls.

The fuel WILL however drain back down the fuel line till it reaches the level of the fuel in the tank leaving air in the line that it has to refill with fuel before it is able to fill the carb bowls.

Electric pumps solve all that, and I would never go back to a mechanical pump because of it.

Since my Dart sits for a long period of time without running. What i do is take a syringe and back fill the fuel bowls through the vents on my 600 Edelbrock. Works like a charm and fires right up.

Maybe your carb has a low leak and the fuel is draining itself out. Here is AUS it gets quite hot and I can have my car sitting for a long time without pumping the buggery out of it to make it start. I also have no choke connected - threw that away, waste of space. Also check that your primer squirters are functioning properly, if your plunger is worn or you have a blockage - you'll have the problems that you are describing as well

I am a little scared to run an electric pump. had an instance when I was a teen on my Chevelle where it didn't turn off and caught fire. of course I am sure they have improved them in the last 40 years.

What cured my stock 2 brl wouldn't apply. The fact that it doesn't happen after the engine is warmed leaded me toward the lack of choke at cold start. You have to think if the engine is sucking and cant suck air as freely, it has to suck the fuel circuit harder.
I always spin my engine a little bit before I set the choke anyway. This gets the oil flowing.

I have heard local car dealers complain lately about ethanol, killing fuel pumps. They are saying that newer cars with electronic fuel pumps cannot sit for more than a month or two. If they do they have to replace the fuel pump to get them to start. Maybe it could have some effect on yours too. My sons valiant has a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb, and we have let it sit for 6 months before and it fired right up.

The fuel runs away from the carb to the tank .My dart does the same carb spacer will not help, i already had one on for 4 yeras now .Still have to pump it , to get enough fuel back up to the Carb .

I have a manual choke on it and it is not hooked up because I only drive it in the summer.

Ah, that would cause the symtoms you are experiencing.:banghead:

1-2 pumps and it should fire with no choke and just require feathering of the pedal to keep it runnign until it gets some heat in it. I've never run a choke on any of my Mopars, Past 2 carbs had lilled airhorns.

well that is what I thought too. what can you do to keep the fuel from going back to the tank. .

They do make one way valves

It isnt boiling out it is because the carb sits and doesnt have fuel bowls like holleys.

Carter style carbs are way worse than holleys at boiling off fuel becaseu they don't have an airspace under the bowls.

I am a little scared to run an electric pump. had an instance when I was a teen on my Chevelle where it didn't turn off and caught fire. of course I am sure they have improved them in the last 40 years.

If the ignition or triggering switch is on they run, so does a mechanical pump if the engine stays running. There are some safteys that can be wired/installed into the system but they would fall in that above and beyond realm.

-
Back