what causes this to happen

-
Since my Dart sits for a long period of time without running. What i do is take a syringe and back fill the fuel bowls through the vents on my 600 Edelbrock. Works like a charm and fires right up.

What a great idea! I have the same carb and the same problem.

Gas does not drain back out of the carbs, it's physically impossible with a needle and seat that are above the fuel level.
It evaporates from the heat and sitting.
Eddie's are more prone to it because of thier design and the fact that they hold less fuel in the bowls.

The fuel WILL however drain back down the fuel line till it reaches the level of the fuel in the tank leaving air in the line that it has to refill with fuel before it is able to fill the carb bowls.

Electric pumps solve all that, and I would never go back to a mechanical pump because of it.

x2....electric fuel pumps are tha bomb.also i cut mine off a few seconds b4 switching the car off so it doesn't puke fuel in the intake.

I have the same situation on my GTX with a 440 and Carter carb. This is normal if you don't start the car daily. I use starting fluid to prime the engine first, and it will allow the engine to run long enough to allow the mechanical fuel pump to fill the carb again.

.. pull your manual choke on full and crank. it will fire once after 3 or 4 seconds.
now take the choke off,pump a couple of times and it will start!

my electric pump more than cured that problem. I recently took it off to use elsewhere. my 1407 has the choke removed. I bought a brand new mechanical fuel pump and filters to use before and after the pump. a couple pumps of the pedal and a couple turns of the key and it fires after weeks of sitting. I have no return line. sometimes the filter is full and sometimes the filter is half empty when I shut the car off, but it does not drain back and is never empty. I would venture to say a new fuel pump would fix that problem.

Lance, a new fuel pump is my next item along with the one way valve. I swapped carbs on the 2 cars today and I noticed the line was empty when I pulled it on the Duster and the line was full when I pulled it off the Dart. so somewhere between the 2 cars is the problem. I am leaning towards the fuel pump because I put a new one on the Dart when I put the engine together.

two reason..one is shitty gas that evaporates ..and a shitty designed accelerator pump in the eddy (carter) carbs...the well of the accelerator pump in the eddies is above the floor of the bowl of the carb...as the gas evaporates after a couple of days...the well goes dry...and no pump shot...

either electric pump..or start the car more often..

holley carb has pump inlet on bottom of bowl...so it take longer for a holley accelerator pump not to work..

I read that some carbs wear out the case where the lower butterfly shaft goes through the carb housing. Gas will leak out there, which will empty the fuel bowl if the car sits for any length of time. Apparently this is pretty common on two barrel carbs.

Lance, a new fuel pump is my next item along with the one way valve. I swapped carbs on the 2 cars today and I noticed the line was empty when I pulled it on the Duster and the line was full when I pulled it off the Dart. so somewhere between the 2 cars is the problem. I am leaning towards the fuel pump because I put a new one on the Dart when I put the engine together.

Carter sells a decent muscle car series pump for about $35.00 at summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m6866/overview/make/dodge

-
Back