What causes this?

-

zakimodo

Reaction score
What would cause these grooves on only 2 of the 3 fingers on the pressure plate? The throwout bearing looks fine.

Attachments

• SAM_0549.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 210
  • SAM_0553.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 188
  • SAM_0554.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 217
You have to evenly torque to specs the pressure plates bolts to the flywheel in a criss cross way in order to get the levers level with each other.
Was it chattering as you released the clutch?
TXDart

Man that is a good question. Something might have gotten in and made its way in between the throw out just one time. I don't know. I believe your pressure plate is not hurt and be safe to reuse.

When I installed this I made sure I torqued the bolts int he correct sequence and to the right torque. I'm getting ready to install a new diaphragm style clutch ,and wanted to make sure that there wasn't something that I was missing that would cause this. It isn't exactly a high quality clutch. The old clutch was a 75$ unit from Checker (Oriley). It did seem like no mater how I adjusted the throwout bearing I had to push the petal all the way to the floor to get it to release.

It probably a rebuild pressure plate and they took to much off the face and did not shim the springs to compensate it or if new it is from China...
TXDart

Are you 100% sure they were not like that when new? I don't mean 99.99% but 100%. Reason I ask is because when pressure plates are remanned, those levers are probably all in a big bin. If those two came from a pressure plate where a throwout bearing went bad, then there's two of them. Somebody else got the third. That is the most likely scenario....I would suspect anyway.

Oh...and why go to the diaphragm type? Only advantage there is maybe a little less clutch effort. The B&B lever type has always been known to be much stronger.

I installed a McLeod diaphragm pressure plate and clutch disk. I will never go back to the B&B.

I am 100% sure it was not that way when I installed it. Is it possible that i was over extending this clutch? As i said before i always had to put the pedal to the floor to get it to disengage. At one point in time for the heck of it I adjusted the throwout bearing to 0 play. I drove it around that block and I still had to push the pedal to the floor.

I am going to a diaphragm style clutch just because. I just looked for a clutch that fitted my needs (Centerforce Dual Friction) and that's how it was built.

Sounds to me like this was a rebuilt PP. I'd guess there's even a possibility that the fingers are the wrong ones (too short) for that PP

The finger hight wasn't set right, the two fingers with the grooves were doing most of the work while the one without was kinda just along for the ride. This is also why the clutch wouldn't release unless the pedal was on the floor, the clutch disk was probably dragging on the pressure plate where the one finger wasn't pulling it away from the disk evenly.

-
Back