what class do you race in

-

OUTLAW

Master of All Mopars
Reaction score
After reading the new IHRA rule book I decided I'm confused as to what class shoot for. (sure ain't like the old days )
OK since we have some dedicated racers I thought it would be interesting to find out what class they run in and what sanctioning bodies and 1/4 or 1/8th

im not in the big time yet,but we hav an old private road alittle under 1/4 mile that some old guy lets all us kids in town run down,we call it the high school short track,all the little hondas run down it but its all we got till i get into the big time :thumrigh:

I raced my b'cuda in a bracket class called super pro. It is for cars using a delay box, or electronics or box or gizmos as some tracks call it. My car is capable of racing NHRA Super Street which is a class ran off of a .500 pro tree with a 10.90 index.

You car looks like it would fit into a class we have here called Pro ET, or footbrake, or no-e as some tracks call it. 2 steps and trans-brakes are allowed, and I think the slowest you can go is 13.50.

If your car is a little slower, or you want to race for a lower payout, or just trophies, Sportsman would be a good class.

What does your car go in the 1/4? Nice looking b'cuda by the way, good luck no matter which class you choose! :salut: :)

never ran against the clocks b4 with this car and that is why i was trying to figure out the class they would most likely throw me in. From reading the IHRA rules it looks like crate motor or hotrod...I sure preferred the old NHRA class structure better ...LOL i hate bracket racing but i kind of figured they would have a class like pro street or street modified

I bracket race in a weekly points class. They call it Pure Street. 11.0-19.9 Must have working mufflers and DOT tires. At Lebanon Valley the Street Night is Wednesday. Other tracks must have a similar class because the street class sends cars for the bracket finals team too.

I race in Heavy Eliminator, it's the non-electronics bracket class.

I race NHRA , 1/4 mile in Super /Pro class, bracket racing. Electronics with trans brake.

My car can race in Super Pro/ Pro/ or Super Street. I prefer to race in Pro because I'm not fond of delay boxes and the like. Pro does not allow trans brakes or two steps, you must leave on a foot brake. No matter what class you race like Crate Motor class, or Stock Eliminator, it's still a big bracket race. So go on a test and tune or street car night and find out what your car runs. Brackets are generally divided up like this but each track does it as they see fit. If they send cars to the Divisional Finals though they'll have to fit into the class standards.

Super Pro 0.00 to 11.99 electronics allowed
Pro 10.00 to 13.99 no electronics, foot brake only
Sportsman 13.00 and up no electronics, must have mufflers.

To start out, your best bet would be a no-electronics (footbrake) ET class. Each sanctioning body has their own name for it, some rules differ and it may even be a little different between tracks! You may find a weekly "tropy" or "street" class if your car retains its mufflers and DOT tires. But you need to go through the learning process before jumping in too far. Usually racers will take the time to answer some questions about their classs and/or combo if they have time.

IHRA class racing in Crate Motor Stock gets pretty complicated because of all the rules outlining what you can and can't do. There is also a lot of traveling to do if you decide to race on a national or divisional level. Some areas, like North Carolina, have a lot of divisional-level events within a reasonable distance.

I went to IHRA Stock (crate motor) because I got tired of the weekly races I HAD to be at, or fall behind in the points. It's very expensive to travel, especially now with fuel prices, and to be competitive within the rules, but I'll keep at it as long as I can win back enough to ease the burden a bit. But I can still bracket race with my combo at other tracks!

I used to race under the old AHRA sanction for several years. I ran a hemi roadrunner in the old Formula 1 E/SA class and I know what you mean about the travel (same track 100 miles away today ). I dont plan on regular campaign like before ..maybe 4 -5 times this season is all. And I hate running for trophy...$$$$ is more fun..LOL But I like to be prepared when I do race rather than just show up and get put in what ever class they feel like this week. I sure miss the old way of classification, research your best class, build the car using your abilities as a mechanic and driver instead of who can ride the brakes the best. Guess thats why I'm still a street racer.. out there there is no handicap and the $$$$ is much better too

OUTLAW,

Sorry, I didn't pick up on the "hints" that you did race before, just not with THAT car, and did class race!

Stock and SS are basically a bracket race with modification rules. But it does get the blood pumping if you stumble into a heads-up run with a like-classed car. However, it's usually the one with the most resources that wins!

Hot Rod and Super Street would work at 10.90. But those guys spend a fortune to go fast, then slow down the ET's with throttle stops and timers. So you get 10.90 cars running 140! I hate electronics like many others here. I prefer being in control the whole way instead of "preprogramming" everything in between.

Good luck!

As for people who don't race...........if ya got a Mopar, ya got "class"! :wink:

ya I guess I'm just getting old. In my day you built a car according to class rules and if it didnt say you couldnt do something then all was fair and you ran to win and if need be lower the record .today they dont built to race they dial in a easy time and run boxes and ride the brakes to win. I always thot racing was to be the fastest. Guess thats why the street scene still appeals to me. Out there you set the pay off and there isnt any break out. You ride the brakes you pay the winner. Simple and straight forward...the fastest wins

OUTLAW said:
I always thot racing was to be the fastest. Guess thats why the street scene still appeals to me. Out there you set the pay off and there isnt any break out. You ride the brakes you pay the winner. Simple and straight forward...the fastest wins

You may not believe it, but there are quite a few individuals making a living bracket racing and/or index racing on a national level.

I agree with you, that the fastest car should win. However, it's a bit of a double edged sword in today's racing. In today's racing THE MOST MONEY WINS. Yeah the tune-up, and crew chief and crew play a part .. but you have to PAY for the best crew chief and crew, not to mention the time and money involved with even finding a GOOD tune-up.

Whether you race fuel funny car, a pro street heads up street car class or a 190 mph 8.90 super comp car you've gotta pay to play.

Unless your name is Locomotion/Myron P. and you win wherever you show up. :mrgreen: :thumrigh:

Myself .. I'll stick to what the wallet can handle, and unfortunately that is 7.50-12.00 bracket racing for now! Unless ya'll (All 900+ members) want to build a funny car. \:D/ :dontknow:

Great topic! :wink:

onehellofadart said:
Locomotion said:
As for people who don't race...........if ya got a Mopar, ya got "class"! :wink:

Kev, Listen to the man :thumrigh:

I got that from a Rodney Dangerfield movie,he was trying to get a date with a teacher and she kept saying she had a class and he said "Well why don't you call me when you have no class!"

[quote="Duster346[/quote]

Unless your name is Locomotion/Myron P. and you win wherever you show up. :mrgreen: :thumrigh:

Great topic! :wink:[/quote]

Well. thanks....but I just win once in a while. I've been racing for SO long, it just looks that way! :tongue:

-
Back