what color do i paint rearend?

-

78kitcar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Wondering what color i should paint my rearend,leafsprings,k-member suspension parts in general flat or gloss black? what color were they from factory? thanks guys

Personally my son and I use gloss black on on his car, (74 Dart) and flat black on my lifted 97 Ram 1500 4x4 (8in lift, 37in Swampers). Since we run gloss black Gabriel air-shocks, they look good with the axle painted like wise.

air%20shock%20replacement.jpg

air%20shocks%20on.jpg

If your talking about a 78 as your name suggest, my 78 Volare wasn't painted. Or rust I guess you could say. But then I had a 7 1/4 rear behind a 318/999 with a 2.4 ratio.

But then I hae a 69 Dart and will be painting the rear end housing a flat black and as I remember, they weren't painted either.

Just thinking out loud.

I'm not going for concours judgeing.

From what I have found out, depending on where certain oarts were made, they might, or might not have been painted. Generally (for 67-69 darts) rearend was semi-gloss black, along with the shocks, the springs were either bare steel or black, the lower spring plates were bare steel, the backing plates were silver cad or bare steel, (although some cars have been black also, bare steel is the most commom), drums were bare steel, although rally and magnum wheel cars had a red painted center.

100_0157.jpg

100_0154.jpg

100_0464.jpg

100_0566.jpg

I would just paint them semi-gloss black. But then thats how I want MY car.

depends on your style and the look your goin for i guess. my dart (74 sport) is gonna be painted a flaked out green, so im gonna get the rear end, gas tank, and front suspension components painted the same color, but the chassis will be either undercoated or have bedliner in black

that setup looks great. I have seen murals painted on street rod rears. It all depends on what you want for YOUR car.

^^^ i like that

my dad painted the rear end for his chally hammer finish silver. dont have pics though

Those all look great think im gonna copy flyboys i really like that thanks guys.

Setup looks great, but the U bolts sould be unpainted if I remember correctly. Really nice setup though.

They are unpainted??? Not sure what you are looking at.

Basically, my car is not rare, but I duplicated what the factory did, anything that was bare steel or cast iroon was painted to keep it looking nice. The foorpans are treated with a rust coverter for any light surface rust, then sealed in rust encapsulator, the painted with chassis black. Seeing the body is gloss black, I probably should have painted it gloss instead of semi, I can always change that later. I used Eastwood's Dark Gray Rust encapsulator on all the bare steel parts, and Engine Paint on the 3rd member for the cast iron look.

-
Back