What color paints to restore bumper jack?

-

twister360

Reaction score
I would like to restore a bumper jack for a 74 Duster. I know the base and jack mechanism are painted gray, brand name and color to match as original. What color would you use on the shaft? It looks plated or is it painted and if painted which brand name and color?

Thanks Gary

They were plated, appears to be some variety of cad-plating, which is typically gold-ish, but the jack shafts were more of a silver color. Maybe someone else can shed further light?

Paint it orange sparks as you cut it up for the scrap pile, those jacks are nothing but a safety issue near-miss boat anchor. Not worth the love and devotion it would take to restore it.

I think it is some sort of plating, not sure what though.
Almost like galvanized.

I'm in the process of restoring my bumper jack. But what I know of the holeshaft was yellow dichromated and the T shaped pole was silver cadmium or silver zinc.

Paint it orange sparks as you cut it up for the scrap pile, those jacks are nothing but a safety issue near-miss boat anchor. Not worth the love and devotion it would take to restore it.

And that is not going to happen. I do not intend to use the jack to change out a starter or crawl under the car. I simply want to make it look nice since it would be visible with the trunk open. This is just another piece of the puzzle that makes the car complete. Thanks to others who gave useful information.

-
Back