What Color to Paint Demon? White or Blue?

Which color?

• Alpine White

Votes: 49 45.8%
  • B5 Blue

Votes: 58 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
white is very rare and i think it looks cool!! don't know whos car this is but the white to black contrast is nice!!

Ok, I should be pushing you towards blue since I am painting my car white with red stripes. The boxes that the stripes from Triggerman are marked special order color. Tex Red. Still looking for info, but I just saw a 2015 Challenger painted in white with no flake, black stripe. Really nice looking. Locked it in for me!

Interior color plays a role unless you are completely replacing it...

I had a white 71 with the black twin scoop hood & it looked awesome.Wish I still had it. Got married to young & gave it up.

I appreciate the responses everyone.

My problem is that I don't want to attempt a metallic color as a first paint job, so it wouldn't be GB5 anyway. If I were to paint it blue, I'd have to decide on a solid blue that's close in color to GB5. I'm afraid if I have the paint shop mix GB5 without metallic, it'll be off a shade... heard stories of the metallic flake actually giving the paint its tint.

will you like white 6 months from now?

Good point. I do like the black contrast with this white Demon, one of the very few pictures of a white Demon I could find:

00017445_Dodge_Demon_Daveseven.jpg

I do also like some of the blue Demons as well.

Don't pick the easiest or cheapest because you may regret it and end up doing it all over again at some point.

That's very true... but the reason I'm still considering white, besides the fact that I like the color on an A-body... I think I'm getting to the point where I'd rather enjoy a drivable car on the road than a project in the garage. I'm sure we've all come to that point at one time or another.

My trade-off is: will I appreciate white and its advantages more so than blue with the extra work? I do like blue, but I wouldn't have to do extra engine bay sanding/painting with the white... plus white is more visible on the road and likely easier to fix scratches.

I'd like to drive this car at least 10k miles a year so it won't be show car only but a semi-regular daily driver.

BTW, the interior is black so it's a moot point.

If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free. Thanks!!

This is my current project, originally TB3 with a white top and blue interior. some point in its life it was repainted at Earl Scheib's and had a black top installed. Its at the body shop now and has just been blasted. I'm a purist and don't change original colors, BUT in this case I just cant go back with the TB3, Its a blah color without metallic in it. I've spent several hours looking at Demon pictures and available colors, and 72 was not a big year for choices. I'm going black with either a white top white interior white stripes, or some combo of black/black top white stripes or all black.

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 234
Mine was origionaly white. Now blue

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 197
Doody,

I will say the only overriding consideration is a complete color change.
Leaving a car the original color is always preferred. Especially if you can tell it's been changed.
(Open the doors and get a surprise?)
Sounds like you want white but just need someone to convince you.
So here we go.

All these are very good reasons to go with white. But you left out at least one important reason. You live in Texas. White will be cooler. Trust me. Color makes a difference.
Got A/C? I think not.
Besides that, I'm not fond of blue. IDK why. Just feels cheap.

If you are going to drive the car (like me) you can touch up non metallic easier.
I touch up acrylic enamels all the time from dings.
Of course, the best way to touch up is to paint the compete panel.
By the way.
Acrylic enamel is getting hard to find but I prefer that to 2K paints.
If you have a Sherwin Williams automotive paint store check with them.
I just found this out.
They should have a basic white acrylic enamel which will save you some money.
Ask for what they sell to paint fleet vehicles.
White is white is white is white is white.
Don't get hung up on shades of paint. It won't be what MOPAR put on the car anyway no matter what the color.

You know what?
Like people say in these threads all the time, it's your car do what ever you like.
Not what other people say.

Oh, and don't scrimp when you buy your paint on the amount.
Better too much than too little.
Particularly if your top coat (blue) is different from your base coat (white?)

Howdy,

I have a '72 Demon I'm building into a street car (meaning it's not an original, $$$ restoration.) I'll probably drop a 440 or a 408 in the car.

Right now the car is in SPI epoxy primer and I'm about to do body work.

The Demon was originally GB5 Bright Blue Metallic; however, this being the first car I'm going to paint, I'm not painting a metallic color.

I'm actually thinking about painting the car white. This has advantages:

1) It'd be faster to get the car on the road. SPI epoxy comes in white and it's said to be more chemical resistant than paint in the engine bay. So I could just spray the engine bay, door jambs and trunk in white epoxy and be done with it. The primer is also glossy if it dries slow... so it should match the white exterior pretty well.

2) Easier to maintain and match later if necessary.

3) Hides body work better & cheaper paint.

Interestingly, the car was repainted one before white.

I kinda like the look of a white Demon with contrasting black stripes/wheels/hood. Plus I don't see a lot of white A-bodies, period, whereas there seems to be more B5 cars than Mopar originally built.

I could also paint the car the original blue, except for the fact that I'd remove the metallic from the paint. Also more time/work compared to above and I haven't decided how I'd have a blue trunk area. I don't want to paint it per se; I want something durable like truck bedliner that's tintable since I can't easily find blue epoxy. Might be a hassle.

I may also consider driving the car in white epoxy/2K just to see how I like it. I'd contact the primer maker to see if I can UV protect it somehow.

Thoughts? I'm thinking out loud right now.

Attachments

• HowdyDoody4.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 179
I sprayed cars for a living[4 GM factory limo's a night] White is not as easy to apply as you might think. Especially if you 2-stage. It's hard to see the paint going on the car.... and I worked with the best equipment available, with fantastic lighting.

-
Back