what converter?

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
hey guys, built 318 in 73 swinger, @3000 lbs +/-.... 28" tires, 3:50 gears... a904, tf2 shift kit, billet servo and piston 5 clutch forwards... vent relocated... mp 340cam, high rise carb, 600 cfm holley 4100 , flat 4 ignition system. raised compression (0) zero decked.
looking into a good decent convert for street/ performance use... looking into the 2200-2500 rpm stall range... but want good street manners ( no major slipping/overheating) and run hard when punched... lennys, great info can't afford, don at performance converter spoke once and didn't return calls? , and a little to high on prices... looking to spend up to 500.00 cheaper the better, not don't want major junk either. have anyone ran hughes 27-25hd 2500? boss hoss street bandit 2200-2500? performance automatic #pa12201 11" ? I did talk to someone at ptc... and suggested his 9.5: billet 475.00 plus freight, and says 2500-2800 stall, and suggested would work well. anyone used here stuff?

Call Paul at T.C.S. 1-800-960-1177 and see what he thinks best for you.
Avoid used converters. Converters are a sealed unit, and you don't know what may or may not be wrong inside. On a used high stall, you also don't know what engine/diff.ratio it was built for. Just because it worked great in my car, it could be a dud in yours.
Cheaper is NOT BETTER. Save your pennies and get the right converter for your car.

i'd call"

dynamic
ptc
ultimate

see who you feel most comfortable with. in the end i think most would be happiest with a converter set up for their combination. main thing is you have to be 100% honest about your combination and just as honest about its intended use. a custom one will not be cheap but in most cases you'll get what yo pay for with a converter.

the guy from ptc converter was pretty nice n the phone. and also e-mailed me. I will BE SELLING THE CAR ONCE COMPLETED I TINK HAVE TO PAY FOR MEDCIAL BILS ON THE WIFE, I HAVE WAY TOO MUCH INVESTED, BECAUSE I BUILT IT FOR ME... but you have to do what you have to do. I just want a decent reasonable converter, ptc said this would work well with my combo, any one ran them, ? I hear off the shelf unit hughes are ok. but just asking peoples opinion...

Don't be fooled to think all of these guys give you a custom one off piece. While they might be quality many of the convertors are off the shelf units that will work for your application.

I like PTC and I've used Dynamic as well.

They will ask for dyno specs. If you don't have those it's all guesswork.

I'd be looking at a 3000 to 3500 convertor if it were mine. Getting one that will stall there for you again is all guess work buy you and the rep you talk to.

the guy from ptc converter was pretty nice n the phone. and also e-mailed me. I will BE SELLING THE CAR ONCE COMPLETED I TINK HAVE TO PAY FOR MEDCIAL BILS ON THE WIFE, I HAVE WAY TOO MUCH INVESTED, BECAUSE I BUILT IT FOR ME... but you have to do what you have to do. I just want a decent reasonable converter, ptc said this would work well with my combo, any one ran them, ? I hear off the shelf unit hughes are ok. but just asking peoples opinion...

hell if i was just selling it after its together i'd put whatever in it and let the new owner put what he wants in..

-
Back