What Cylinder Heads?!?!

-

jpeshelman

Reaction score
What heads would be the better choice for me??
Casting Numbers:

This is for a 383 stock type rebuild, edelb 4b intake, factory/small cam nothing crazy.
exhaust I have factory a body big block manifolds.
Short Deck Block
727 Trans/Gearing undecided yet.

361,383(short deck,tall deck?),400,413,426 440 ? Compression,exhaust set up,gearing.Let's start there.

Sweet,thinking 516's. Thank you,for the info,much appreciated. A few of the big block guys,will give info.

I'd use the 516s. Have them fitted with the 1.74 exh valves and run them. There are no real good pistons for a 383 so anything you can do to get static compression will help.

My .030" over 383 has a set of 516's on it, with a light mill, nail head valves, 1.74" exhaust, and a -.020" deck height,with a .039" head gasket, it makes 9.97 to 1 compression with stock flat top pistons. The downside is cam clearance, which will be limited to around .500" lift, but if thats not a problem, you can get decent compression pretty cheaply. If you have to run either head in totally stock form, the 346's flow better.

Did you cc your 516s at about 74cc?

I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but I think 73 CC's was what I got, and I only did 1 on each head to get a vague idea of my compression level. The nail head valves take away CC's, and they had a light mill to flatten the decks. You could get well over 10.0 to 1 with a thin steel head gasket, but you would have even less room for a cam. I hope to swap to the old MP .528 solid, which I have been informed fits, but not much more.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but I think 73 CC's was what I got, and I only did 1 on each head to get a vague idea of my compression level. The nail head valves take away CC's, and they had a light mill to flatten the decks. You could get well over 10.0 to 1 with a thin steel head gasket, but you would have even less room for a cam. I hope to swap to the old MP .528 solid, which I have been informed fits, but not much more.

Yeah, I directed the question your way-guess I should've made that a little more clear. In any case, I asked because I've read of folks on here who bought 516 or 915 heads believing they were down near 74cc only to measure them and find out they're closer to 80cc.

Yeah, I directed the question your way-guess I should've made that a little more clear. In any case, I asked because I've read of folks on here who bought 516 or 915 heads believing they were down near 74cc only to measure them and find out they're closer to 80cc.

I didn't CC mine before altering them, so I can't say exactly what contributed the most to the low CC number. Dwayne Porter gave me a number for how much a nail head valve will reduce volume over a tulip head valve, but it was a few CC's, the upgrade to a 1.74" exhaust should have knocked off a bit, and I don't really know how much the shop took off when they were milled, I told them the bare minimum to get them flat.

-
Back