what differential fluid should go in 8-3/4

-

Reaction score
Hey all, getting ready to reassemble my 8.75 and needed to know what fluid to use. It's a sure grip unit and I did get a bottle of the Sure grip additive but just didn't know what fluid everyone is comfortable with.

................I just run regular 80-90....with the additive....some run full synthetic....u have a few choices of grades........kim........

I'm cheap. 80/90 has worked well for decades. To hell with that high priced crap. It's all about marketing anyway. Save your money. 80/90

I run synthetic Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90. Although brand name conventional fluids offer good protection, synthetics tend to be better and provide extra insurance under heavy duty/performance use. They also tend to run cooler. I have the stuff in my race car 8 3/4" as well as my Dodge dually. The thinner stuff will free up a few extra HP over the thicker viscosities and it has a friction modifier in it for sure-grip/posi rear ends. But one can add their own as well if it needs more. My differential guy likes the stuff as well and I've reused bearings a couple of times between gear changes.

http://www.thelubepage.com/severe-gear-75w-90

Some of the synthetics don't stink so bad, which may be of some value if you change gears or are into the differential frequently.

NOTHING was worse than the old sperm oil based lube!!!!

-
Back