What direction should my next project take?

What should my next project be?

• Any 72 and earlier a body

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Notch back barracuda

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • The 55 dodge

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Something else (please specify)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
-

d55dave

Reaction score
So.....other than the 55 Dodge in my signature picture I am currently without a Mopar. The 55 is a nice car, but very original with its early hemi, and not conducive to daily driving / beating on and racing. My last two cars were a 72 swinger with a 440...... A raunchy street car, lumpy cam fender well headers, full manual auto etc. Lots of fun and a Dart sport with stroked small block, 4 speed etc.

It has been 5 years since I sold of the "toys" and I am finally getting to a point where I can have another.

I have always said that my next ride will be 72 or earlier, preferably an a body, more preferably a notch back barracuda.

I like obnoxious street cars that I can bracket race on weekends. I have started gathering bits and currently have two 440 drivetrains, both rebuilders but starting points non the less.

My dad has another 55 Dodge, very similar to the car in my signature.....but not a hemi, and not in near as nice shape. It has yellow paint with Patina and pitted chrome, is not a rust bucket but is a complete car with a poly head v8 and 3 on the tree. I could probably have the car for next to nothing.

So....the question is should I build #1 any 72 and earlier a body I can get, #2 wait for a notchy cuda, or put a big block in the 55?

Notchback all day!
But I'm partial! !!

Attachments

• 20150823_134620_zpssx5x57rm.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 368
  • 20150823_134632_zpsbis8fpwh.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 372
  • 20150823_134548_zpspp0nco5d_edit_1440363156546_zpsqtxkymti.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 382
I've never had a cuda and they're great looking Mopars!

Every car show I go to and every time I go to the strip I see a 60s or 70s Abody. Even more B bodys. The 55,56, 57, 58 59, 60, ect. ect bowties seem to rule. I Have seen 2 possably 3 55, dodges. What that all about???

Build the other double-nickel gasser style :prayer:

Yeah.......I like this idea it is heavy and won't be terribly quick, but bracket racing is all about consistency right? And it will definitely be different.....

I am.looking at a couple of notch's that are for sale, but really want a 69, it seems most are 7 or 8's

There was a guy on the HAMB awhile back that managed to put a 383/727 and 8 3/4 in a '56 Dodge. I actually just put a 68-70 B body 8 3/4 in my g/f's '55 to get rid of the tapered axle/brake set up. Was actually very simple, although that car is keeping the poly 270.

I think a '55 with a 440/727 and 8 3/4 out back would be a blast. You could do a RustyHope or scarebird disk conversion on it, or go full monty and straight axle it. Now that would be a BEAST- '55 Dodge gasser! Don't see many of those. Just do it the way they actually did the gassers back in the day, not sky-high like all the wanna-be's these days.

Notch or any 67 - 69 Cuda , can't go wrong with them .

I know I'll be going down as a minority on this one being a a-body site. I voted the 55 dodge for a few reasons.
1- your dad already has and likes this car? Perhaps the two of you could work together on it and it become an important part of your family for generations to come. These family projects are the best cars to own if you get the chance to follow thru with them.
2- I like the gasser as done back in the day idea mentioned by Bruce.
3- You can always get a notch later.

Me and my father worked together on a 56 but he lost interest a decade ago.
The project sadly sits stale now. I always wished we started on the car when we were a little younger and got to finish it together. Your poll just reminded me I need to do something with the car.
50s mopars are some great cars. All the best on your next Mopar which ever you choose.

Attachments

• 2012-10-01_08-31-40_193-1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 312
  • 2012-10-01_08-32-02_349-1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 291
I know I'll be going down as a minority on this one being a a-body site. I voted the 55 dodge for a few reasons.
1- your dad already has and likes this car? Perhaps the two of you could work together on it and it become an important part of your family for generations to come. These family projects are the best cars to own if you get the chance to follow thru with them.

The project sadly sits stale now. I always wished we started on the car when we were a little younger and got to finish it together. Your poll just reminded me I need to do something with the car.
50s mopars are some great cars. All the best on your next Mopar which ever you choose.

Wow, that's cool

If I was in your shoes I'd just think about what car I've always really wanted. And start there. Life is too short to be surrounded by toys that are nice but not quite what you want. As Kasey Kasem once said " keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars"

(barracuda/dart) 68's all the way love those HEMI style set ups.

i Vote Notchback! does it get any better?

1968!

Since your 55 dodge already has the clutch pedals for the factory three speed it wouldn't
take much to go to the 4-speed with your 440.
For me it was a long search obtaining those pedals to convert my 56 over to 440 four speed.
I also built a truck Dana to get rid of the old style tapered axles.
Its not a light car but a 440 makes it feel like it is.

Just because there is no love; 73+ A body.

Tired of this later A body looked down upon business from an ivory tower.

Hey, ssba, that is one cool desoto. Great pointers......thing is my dad and I did the green 55 as a father son project in the late 80's and dad had two 40 Ford projects that I help him out with now.

If I was in your shoes I'd just think about what car I've always really wanted. And start there. Life is too short to be surrounded by toys that are nice but not quite what you want. As Kasey Kasem once said " keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars"

Great advice here breakstuff.......thanks!

Since your 55 dodge already has the clutch pedals for the factory three speed it wouldn't
take much to go to the 4-speed with your 440.
For me it was a long search obtaining those pedals to convert my 56 over to 440 four speed.
I also built a truck Dana to get rid of the old style tapered axles.
Its not a light car but a 440 makes it feel like it is.

I did have this same thought....but want a manual valve body auto for racing. I have broke too much 4 speed stuff......

I vote for the 55. Leave the patina, do it up gasser style, and use a bit of flattener in any lettering paint you may use. Make it look like a barn find gasser.

Hack up an original SS Chevelle and make a 4x4 out of it. Complete with Mopar big block power.

Voted notchie ' Cuda.. Upon seeing the double Nickel, that in a early-mid '60 's look...

Do the 55. Put some fatty tires on it keep it sitting low. Nice paint. Disc brakes. Make it fast and comfortable and cool.

-
Back