what distributor?????

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
stock, aftermarket? i have a stout street 360 and cant decide on a distributor i would like to spend less than 230.00 what are everyones recomendations?

For less than $230 the Mopar Performance unit is your best bet. It has a fully adjustable mechanical and vacuum advance.

Ditto!!! The MP unit is absoultely fine to use.

here ya go; This is what I would run. Adjustable vacuum advance and you can pick up springs to quicken or slow the mech. curve if need be.
Standard MP distributor. Make sure it has the adjustable vacuum advance.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/vacadeldis.html

The one you posted I have seen before, but do not know anyone running it. I have no clue whjo makes it.

The MSD is real nice, but over his limit a tiny bit, but more importantly, overkill for the engine. If I were racing....hummmmmmm

P3690430 lists for $189.00 they are still availably from any mopar dealer (good thing about the dealer is they do not charge shipping

DISCRIPTION IS AS FALLOWS:
vacuum advance electronic distributor

features a high performance advance curve and an adjustable vacuum advance unit. includes cap and rotor

& the book im looking in has a pritty little picture as well (sorry no scanner or I would post it)

Mopar Perf. or a reman one from NAPA, cheaper from NAPA and I bet a better warranty.

Mopar Perf. or a reman one from NAPA, cheaper from NAPA and I bet a better warranty.

The remanufactured one does not have an adjustable mechanical advance. For most any engine with a hotter than stock cam you need to run more initial timing and reduce the total in the distributor. The MP units have an internal advance mechanism made by Mallory so it's fully adjustable with the Mallory kit.

You get one from NAPA or any other parts store you will be having to take it apart and weld up the slots to reduce the timing in the distributor.

Under "Ignition parts/distributors/Billet electronic distributors" on Mancinis page you find art.no. 5249776, thats the one I would use.:book:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/bileldis.html

I have that one on my 360. My son picked it up for me through the dealership he works for. It's a nice piece uses the same Mallory kit to adjust the mechanical advance. My car is a street car and I would prefer the unit with the mechanical advance but it was a gift from my son so I am keeping it.

I have a MP electronic ignition conversion kit. How will this distributor work with a MSD box or should I go full MSD ignition.

It will work excellent. Been there done that. No need for the MSD distributor. If your racing for money, the MSD distributor can offer some slight advantage.

so i would be just fine with the 189.00 mp distributor? im on a tight budget but if i need to spend a little more for say that msd billet distibutor i will, i spent enough on this engine already, whats a little more money hurt? lol
the 360 engine has "street ported" heads (67cc chambers) with 2.02 intake valves, 484 valve lift, cam is comp cams with 284/284 duration. Forged speed pro pistons aprx. 10.25 to 1 compression ratio. I just dont want to hold any power back because i cheaped out on one part. Oh and i think im going to use a mopar Chrome box, anyone have a problem with that?

Why not use the stock 360 distributor with a set of lighter springs and an aftermarket vacuum advance can? Wouldn't that work well for a mostly street car?
How about a stock 340 distributor? Aren't they already set up for a performance engine?
Trying to learn/help here.

George

Why not use the stock 360 distributor with a set of lighter springs and an aftermarket vacuum advance can? Wouldn't that work well for a mostly street car?
How about a stock 340 distributor? Aren't they already set up for a performance engine?
Trying to learn/help here.

George

Only with some rework.

The factory distributors are set up assuming you the intial timing will be set around 10 degrees BTDC and the total at 35 or so. With a perfromance cam like the 284/284 you are going to need to run intial in the 15-16 range to get a decent idle and off idle throttle reponse. With the 25 degrees built into the distributor you will wind up with 40 degrees total, way to much for a sb. The MP, MSD, Mallory, Accel, etc. distributors allow you to adjust the advance in the distributor. In the above example you would want to reduce the advance from the 25 of a stock engine to 20 so you still wind up with 35.

Lots of people take stock distributors apart and weld up slots to limit the timing and that works but it's some what of a trial and error effort. And it doesn't address the issue of the reluctor not being phased to the rotor accurately that limits a stock distributor in performance applications.

Changing springs will effect the rate at which the timing comes in. In street perfromance applications you want it all in some where between 2500-3000 rpm. With an otherwise stock engine going to a lighter spring can bring it into that range, the factory tends to be very conservative to protect the engine against those that would not use the proper fuel or otherwise lugg and over lad the engine at lower rpm's. As you limit the advance for a performance cam you need to use stiffer springs to keep the advance coming in at the same rpm.

Rule of thumb: The design of the heads (chamber and port design) will determine the total mechanical advance an engine wants to see. The duration of the cam will determine what the initial timing needs to be. You want as much vacuum advance as possible with out causing part throttle or throttle tip in detonation. Remember vacuum advance only functions at part throttle cruise, there is not enough manifold vacuum at WOT to operate it and at idle the timed port is above the throttle blades and see no vacuum.

I have a MP electronic ignition conversion kit. How will this distributor work with a MSD box or should I go full MSD ignition.

If your already got the msd box the msd distributor will be a great addition,its better then anything mopar is putting out...

-
Back