What do I do with this?

-
Reaction score
Here it is. I took my car to the local muffler shop and told them I needed the exhaust hooked up to the headers with an X pipe. And this is what I got......... Is this totally custom or totally stupid? The "X" is close to 2' long!

Attachments

• Photo-0119 (WinCE).jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 790
  • Photo-0121 (WinCE).jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 761
Unacceptable. I would definately be causing issues for that shop. They need to fix that correctly. I would not pay for anything from them for labor or the pipe needed to fix. Just the actual x pipe required for cross and maybe only at cost for that. Looks like a homejob. No offence to the folks that know what they are foing of course.

Or is that "with all due respect"

Can you remove the Trans ? or the drive shaft if needed ?
I can't say, what engine and build do you have ? and size headers ?

What size pipe did they take to the back ?
Cost ?

WOW!! very unacceptable!! what a cobbled together mess! someone that would put out that kind of work wouldn't get a second chance to touch my car! find a good shop to fix that mess. my personal opinion the shop that did this will prob. make u eat the cost on this... if they put out work like this i dont believe they will care if you are unhappy about it.

Lelo, you need to come up to Lee's Summit and let my pals take care of that. Royal Muffler, ask for Ron.
Tom Hand

Can you remove the Trans ? or the drive shaft if needed ?
I can't say, what engine and build do you have ? and size headers ?

What size pipe did they take to the back ?
Cost ?
Yes should be able to remove trans. Yes just had the driveshaft out but I had to remove the rear end to get it out. Its a 318 bored 30 over KB167 pistons, 302 heads, and XE268H cam. Headers - 1 1/2 primary, 2 1/2 collector, Sanderson DD7. 2 1/4 all the way back.

Wow, where'd you take it? I would never pay for that, and unfortunately, I probably know the folks that did since I grew up in Warrensburg.

Why not just buy a Summit X-pipe kit and have 'em install it? They're not expensive.

what do you do with that? answer: cut it off. ive built better systems oxy/acyt welding on my back in the dirt.

Wow, where'd you take it? I would never pay for that, and unfortunately, I probably know the folks that did since I grew up in Warrensburg.

Why not just buy a Summit X-pipe kit and have 'em install it? They're not expensive.
Took it to the shop on the N side of 50 hwy in Knob. Think Brad was his name. I was going to buy the x but he said he would make it and it would be better.

someone would be gettin a boot@#!!*%ing for that if it was mine! Unbelieveable.

someone would be gettin a boot@#!!*%ing for that if it was mine! Unbelieveable.

No doubt!
Thats messed up.

This is a fabbed X pipe and that mess is just a cobbled two into one into two.
The restriction must be nasty.

Attachments

• Xpipe.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 652
Yeah and just got done with my rear end swap and now it looks like its going to interfere with the driveshaft. Pic #1 & #2 are with no load on the suspension and Pic #3 is with the stands under the rear end.

Attachments

• Photo-0117 (WinCE).jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 679
  • Photo-0118 (WinCE).jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 678
  • Photo-0122 (WinCE).jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 668
Well it certainly looks like they sold you problems. You have got to cut it out and start over. I would go back to them and ask them WTF they were thinking. Tell them you want it fixed right, tell them if they don't you will report them.

At this point I would try anything to at least get my money back.

That's just nasty. Are the pipes even round? Looks like they are crushed. I don't know much about exhaust design, but ain't flow kinda important? I do know the alphabet OK, and I dont see an 'X' there.

I've done enough myself,not any good. I am still better ,than that. Please ,go with VOE's recommendation.

it just makes me think....where have the all the "old school" pro's gone. If we find some, lets tell people about them, they deserve some advertisement. Especially when you see things like this! One thing also that I noticed was the severe "crimp" in the bend going into that monstrosity.

They just turned a dual exhaust into a single exhaust, for all intents and purposes.
Get your money back!

I think I'll call that an "I" pipe from now on...

-
Back