what do i have? junk?

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
I started tearing my motor down and trying to see if what I have is junk or can be used. I am building a street car but I want some good hp. Also I have some surface rust on the lifters is that something that can be cleaned off? I mostly want to know if pistons are a decent one and are the valves a good size. once I pull pistons I can find out what they are...:prayer:

Attachments

• Meridian-20120702-00521.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 484
  • Meridian-20120702-00522.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 493
  • Meridian-20120702-00523.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 483
  • Meridian-20120702-00524.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 472
  • Meridian-20120702-00525.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 486
what are the intentions? and why do you feel it might be junk? also the numbers on the heads look on top of the heads in where the springs and such are. They should tell you the type of head.

I started tearing my motor down and trying to see if what I have is junk or can be used. I am building a street car but I want some good hp. Also I have some surface rust on the lifters is that something that can be cleaned off? I mostly want to know if pistons are a decent one and are the valves a good size. once I pull pistons I can find out what they are...:prayer:

Why would you consider using used lifters? Until you see if the block needs bored you won't know if you can even use those pistons if they are good. You just need to be ready to spend what it takes to get to what hp you want. The more hp the more $$$$.

the guy i got it from wasn't the most trustworthy guy i found out after I got the motor from him. That's the two numbers I seen on the heads am I missing the one that says the type of head? with the lifters I thought about that after I posted :/ I will probably get some KB since there not to bad so pretty much need to know if heads are good or not. Like I said mostly for street so looking for around 400 some hp maybe

here is some pics. One head had more numbers on it

Attachments

• Meridian-20120703-00527.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 323
  • Meridian-20120703-00528.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 349
That is the cleanest "junk" engine I have seen. I don't see rusty lifters. Cam grinders can resurface your lifters and regrind your cam, if need be. A little savings over new parts, especially if a local shop so no shipping costs. The cam is the main thing that sets the character of the engine, so you need to decide what you want - smooth running or just a high rpm screamer for the track, and compare to what you have.

2406516-5 is your casting number. If they both have that, they are a matching pair. That number is for the 383 closed chamber head. They will be good for a mild build with flat tops. You can get 9:1 plus real easy. They don't have the larger exhaust valve, but that won't matter if you stick with a mild build. If you get the larger exhaust valves put in and ported, they should support 450 or so HP. IQ52 would be better to tell you specifics. He's probably the best on the site.

-
Back