What do you do when missing screws?

-
I've been messing with cars since 1963, and, I can honestly say that finding or getting the right size, pitch, head, and drive type of screws has never been an issue.
Between salvage yards, parts stores, hardware stores, friends, etc. It's just never been an issue.
Now it would seem to be even less of an issue with various fastener stores, the internet, "help" racks at parts stores, and. as someone has already mentioned, the "drawers" at the big box stores.

Obviously you are someone that has failed to explore all the little drawers of fasteners and cool things at your local hardware store.

Where do you think these reproduction companies get most of their fasteners? They sure don't make them. The source most of the screws, nuts and bolts from already existing and available product lines.

Errrrr......why do you say that? I just said it bugs me to see incorrect screws used. I get most all my screws from my own private "stash" because I rarely have thrown the factory screws away on all my old parts cars. I also used to snag loads of factory screws from A bodies I saw in the boneyard, so I pretty much have a lot of them memorized as to identification.

Those dash screws and grille screws are the ones that I find most valuable. As was mentioned, it has never been easier to find them than nowadays. I think the OP was missing his, so proper identification was the problem, not the sourcing of them.

I think the OP was missing his, so proper identification was the problem, not the sourcing of them.

Exactly! Unfortunately, the op has had his question ridiculed by some people. I thought there were no stupid questions.

Errrrr......why do you say that? I just said it bugs me to see incorrect screws used. I get most all my screws from my own private "stash" because I rarely have thrown the factory screws away on all my old parts cars.

Precisely. I have drawers and coffee cans full of fasteners from various parts of various cars. The cans are marked, for example, "Dart 70-73 read bumper" or"Dart inner windshield trim 67-76".

Even when it came to to scrap a car, I've always taken the time to completely gut the car of everything that can be unscrewed, or unbolted, and in some cases even cut out the floor and trunk pans. I kept a lot of it, but also sold a bunch of it at a local flea market.

...also, friends and neighbors call me all the time for minor goodies. lol

My latest project is to restore a 70-72 (preferably a 71) Swinger to factory stock, according to the car's build sheet. Numbers matching isn't the idea, but bone stock, is. I'm not building it for resale, or to impress any one, I simple want a bone stock 71 Swinger.

When I'm through with the project, I will probably sell or give away the bulk of my stash, that I can't use in maintaining the completed Swinger.

What do you do when missing screws?

I look for another ready, willing, and able female to screw instead....

-
Back