What do you do when missing screws?

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
I have been meaning to post a topic on this. What do you guys do when you're are missing screws for parts you need to install? I need to install the following:

1. 71 duster tail lights
2. Lower grill panel
3. 69 Valiant grill
4. Headlight Bezels
but basically you get the idea. Some of these parts I never had screws for, so I wanted to know what's your method when getting screws for these parts and finding the correct ones for each part?

You could make a list and hit R/T Specialties, PenStar Productions, Mr. G's Fasteners or any of the like companies. They have a wide assortment of fasteners packaged by assemblies and sub-assemblies to choose from. They may not have every assembly known to the Mopar world, but they can certainly help you get that you need. Most of these companies go to the bigger Mopar shows and can also be found online as well!!

I went to my local auto parts store and they have a special rack of hard to find
screws and fasteners here in Canada.It is Geno.
Also Classic Industries has "packages"

Darryl

Attachments

• geno 006.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 169
i used to hit the wrecking yards up ,but thats pretty much a wash now.so i have to go through years of boxes of bolts and screws.its a pain in the *** but i usually can find what i need....

I went to my local auto parts store and they have a special rack of hard to find
screws and fasteners here in Canada.It is Geno.
Also Classic Industries has "packages"

Darryl

Yeah I bought one set of something like this. Back home I had a friend who had the same car and the plan was to take a screw from his in the locations I need then go buy the same ones, but thats not going to work so well now.

oh yea? Should have thought of that. Care to share how you know what size, length, etc you need?

A tape measure. Really, this is like asking people what they do when they run outta gas.

Buy another car and take what you need from it

Building my Dart had bagged and tagged all the parts, but where the hell are they when you need them

Had a 68 convertible and 67 hardtop when putting my car back together so I just went and got what I needed

Also didn't care about CORRECT, lot of my bolts are stainless steel and polished if possible, stainless washers also. That is the good thing about a custom instead of a correctly restored car

You know...... Many of you would save an *** load of money if you would take 30 minutes and explore all the little drawers of fasteners and cool things at your local hardware store.

Man, if I see a sill plate with like, wood screws or something similar, it just twists my brain into knots.

So good to know you waste your time responding to that question also.

I don't get it. I'm givin you good advice, but you're bein too obtuse to see it. Figure things out for yourself man, instead of getting a bajillion different and possibly wrong answers from an internet forum. Really? Screws? Come on guy. You chose this hobby and you caint figure out where to get screws or what size you need? Maybe you should take up postage stamp collecting.

Man, if I see a sill plate with like, wood screws or something similar, it just twists my brain into knots.

Obviously you are someone that has failed to explore all the little drawers of fasteners and cool things at your local hardware store.

Where do you think these reproduction companies get most of their fasteners? They sure don't make them. The source most of the screws, nuts and bolts from already existing and available product lines.

The exact same stuff you can find at the store down the street.

I have mentioned the round plastic body plugs, before, as an example. I can go to ACE Hardware in town and get the EXACT same body plugs that the factory used on my 68. They are even the same brand. 100% identical.

Buy a $40 kit and wait for it in the mail or get the body plugs for 40 cents each. The choice is easy for me.

I don't get it. I'm givin you good advice, but you're bein too obtuse to see it. Figure things out for yourself man, instead of getting a bajillion different and possibly wrong answers from an internet forum. Really? Screws? Come on guy. You chose this hobby and you caint figure out where to get screws or what size you need? Maybe you should take up postage stamp collecting.

I could take up trolling, maybe or something fun like that. can't*

Obviously you are someone that has failed to explore all the little drawers of fasteners and cool things at your local hardware store.

Where do you think these reproduction companies get most of their fasteners? They sure don't make them. The source most of the screws, nuts and bolts from already existing and available product lines.

The exact same stuff you can find at the store down the street.

I have mentioned the round plastic body plugs, before, as an example. I can go to ACE Hardware in town and get the EXACT same body plugs that the factory used on my 68. They are even the same brand. 100% identical.

Buy a $40 kit and wait for it in the mail or get the body plugs for 40 cents each. The choice is easy for me.

Yeah, I noticed that. I think I will just buy a bunch of different screw and bolt kits.

You know...... Many of you would save an *** load of money if you would take 30 minutes and explore all the little drawers of fasteners and cool things at your local hardware store.

Yes come to think of it thats where I got some stuff too. Like the snap on
buttons for convertible top boot with the screws in it.(HomeDepot)

Darryl

I would have mentioned the hardware store too except for the fact thatt the OP mentioned that he didn't have the fasteners in the first place. The reason I mentioned the companies above is that they offer the correct screws for a particular application,'sometimes maddeningly hard to find at the hardware store, especially with the hundreds of different screws on these cars!!

Try finding those shoulder screws with the smaller heads for dash bezels,'or the phosphate coated screws in black for blacked out headlight bezels and such!

Do they cost a little more through the above companies??... sure, but you're getting the correct screws.'if no example or parts car is a a available, my suggestion is an easy way to identify which fasteners you need!

I live in a small town and the local hardware store only carries a limited supply of things. The nearest home depot also only has a small assortment of supplies.

It was easier for me to buy the interior screw kit from penstar at moparfest last year. I also do not have alot of the screws that were used. The spare car has some of them but seem to be missing the ones i need.

I bought a set specific to my body on ebay.All labeled and in individual baggies. Makes it easy.

-
Back