What do you expect out of a car show?

-

Dartnewbie

Former Dart owner
Reaction score
I went to my "first" car show Friday night as just a driver and not the DJ running the show. I've been running shows for over 6 years now. It was at our local Sonic. Well the parking turned out to be across 5 lanes of traffic in the mall across from the Sonic with no protected parking area for the cars. Registration was on the Sonic side. No DJ was present so we all sat in silence watching the traffic between us and Sonic. They offered some kind of raffle, tickets $2 for one or 3 for $5. I don't know what they were raffling since I was on the phone when they shoved a list of items at me and I told them I was not interested and they huffed and went on. The show was scheduled from 3-8 on a Friday afternoon and registration was $10. I stayed until 6 as I could not stand the boredom and the constant noise of the traffic on the road in front of us. I had my daughter with me and we ate at the Arby's next to the Sonic as I figured if I wasn't good enough to park in their lot, I wasn't good enough to patronize their store either. Overall I was not impressed with the organization of the show. Was I expecting too much or is this normal? Do most places advertise a car show and then have you park across the street from the them expecting you to cross a busy street throughout the show for food and rest rooms? Had I stayed I assume we all would have had to cross the street for the awards part or listen to them shout the results across the 5 lanes of traffic. The only good part about the show was there was a 65 barracuda with a 440 5 speed in it.

i,d a left rubber in sonic,s lot. big smoky burnout with your chili dog lol

A good MC that talkes to the folks most of the time and even about each car if they can, Music and judges walking around looking and talking to as many entrees as possible, A place with games for the children to enjoy, I seen a clown walk around and put on a show just by looking at cars and falling on the ground kicking his feet in the air over a car with children around.
The one you went to sounds terrible.
I would think a car show next to a main 5 lane road would turn to many heads and there would be a good chance of a wreak some where.:angry7:
How many cars showed up and what was the population of the town ?
The mayor should have stepped up for a nice trophy for Mayors choice.
Sonic should have gave out free meal drwings to the entrees every 1/2 hour.
Sonds like you have the worst care show behind you Dartnewbie. :-D

Well the weather kept a lot of cars home I would guess. Only about 15 or so were there when I left. The town has a population of about 35k. If more cars had shown I'm not sure where they would have parked as we were in the spots closest to the sidewalk of the lot. Sonic gave some coupons at registration for 10% off, never used them. I was hoping it just wasn't me as I am biased since I usually am running the show and not just enjoying it with the other drivers. I would at least thought we would be in their lot but I counted the spaces and they only have 30 spots to park and obviously did not want the show taking any spots for other customers. I thought about having a show at my house and sending everyone to their lot to park. 8)

Make sure all the car clubs jump on board with you and your county agent !!
You could have the best car show in your area and before you know it you will be moved to the fair grounds after putting on a good show.:cheers:
Have a cruse on Friday evening and have a locked gate for a little fellow ship that night for some of the folks that would enjoy it.=P~
And a good man on the Mike to talk to everyone and having fun is the kicker as you must know already. If all goes well your Mayor will sponser a giant trophy that he gets to come and see the cars and shake hands and pick the Mayors Choice car, Have a photographer there with a good printer They do this at the dirt tracks and car show here and they stay busy and the folks love it. If you fill 30 spots a no pay in for the raffle at the end of the day with 30 numbers in a jar and find a youg child to pull out a number to win a very nice dinner for 4 folks to enjoy.
You might want to look at liability laws
It would be cool to have your own car show.:cheers:=P~:-D

here are some pics from our local friday night car show. we dont have music. but the baja fresh resturant gives us free sodas and cupons for food. they also let us park in their lot. im sure it brings them a lot more business then they would usually get. the only rules are no loud music, no alcohol and no burnouts. it sounds like a lot of rules but it keeps things nice. its also free which is nice.

P5082151.jpg

P5082152.jpg

P5082154.jpg

P5082155.jpg

Well I understand some cruise-ins are informal and just the owners getting together to show off their cars or just getting together. Usually those are free too. But an advertised car show with a fee should offer more than they had Friday. My biggest gripe was the parking. Not only across the street but no protected area for the cars. I highly doubt they had permission from the property manager for the mall to park the cars there as the mall would assume all liability for damages without their consent and not sonic. I had to get permission from a property manager to have one of my car shows approved and we block off the show area. Hopefully the others in the area this year will be more fun. I don't mind paying a fee if it actually goes towards a fun show with music and the such but to expect me to pay $10 to run across a busy road is not my idea of good planning. Now I know why I get compliments on the shows I do.

How is this idea:

If you get local fast food eateries to be sponsors, the car show organizers could issue numbered tickets (some car shows actually have entry fees) say for $1 each. The MC could call a random number each half-hour or hour on a P.A. for a free burger or something at the eatery. That way, the eatery could have some free publicity as people usually like to have a bite to eat or a cold drink anyway at a show.

That sounds like a horrible show. Whoever commenced it, needs to be talked to. I would not ever patronize their show again if that is how they organize it. If my car is not in a protected area, I won't go. I have been to a few that were poorly organized and boring and won't return.

-
Back