What do you pull your cars with?

-
I have a 04 F-150 4X4 FX4 and a 20ft. open trailer,I use it for hauling to the track(1 hour away)hauls no problem!5.4 litre.

july 039.jpg

I have a 73 1/2 ton d100 club cab swb 360-727 2-barr. It pulles race cars, b bodys with no problem. I put air shocks on the back to help the sag.
:spam2:

01 Quad Cab 1500, 318, Auto, 3.92 traclock, soon to get a 360 that I got from a wrecked 01 Ram 4X4.

23ser08.jpg

I didn't read the whole post, so someone might have allready answered to this.

I see alot of pictures on here of little trucks that should NOT be towing a car trailer. It isn't if you have enough power or not. It is your GVW rating. technically all thos dekota's S10 jimmy's, exploreres are under weight so if you get into an axcident you insuranse could be VOID! and you are left with all the damages with you vehicles and the people involved including injury $$$$$$$$

You can tow a car on a trailer with a civic, but you shouldn't.

I have towed a car with a F 150, but techjicall I was over weight. If a DOT saw me, I could have been fined, and stoped right there with them not letting me go any further.

If it is a 3/4 ton or higher you are fine ( legally)

think of it this way. The law is one thing you want on your side, whet S$#* hits the fan!

Phil

I have towed rather extensively over the last few years, although most of it has been shorter distance (100 mile round trips).

First tow rig: 89 GM Suburban with a TH400 and 3/4 ton 4x4. Set-up to tow with extra coolers etc. factory. It got 12.5 empty and around 10 loaded. It did well and I enjoyed it. Although I was a towing newbie so I didn't really appreciate it then.

2nd tow rig: 87 Ford F-250 4x4 with a 460. 3.55's and an automatic. It had plenty of power and could pull hills in drive with pedal to spare. Close to double digits (around 9 MPG). Not so good when loaded, but it did well.

3rd and current tow rig: 1989 Dodge with a 5.9 EFI and a 727. It is 4x4 with a nice flatbed and 3/4 ton, although I would call it a heavy half-ton.
I towed last weekend with it. I get low teens empty, and close to twelve with mild towing on flat ground. I really like the truck even though it is disgusting looking.

I am currently considering a 99 1/2 ton 4x4. Not so much for what it will tow, but for what it can do for me in other ways. I think it will tow the worst out of the above, but it will be more comfortable than most.

FWIW-ROB

I pull anything I need to with my 07 CTD 2500 4x4 Dodge. You see alot of people puling things they have no business pulling all the time. Just cause your truck has the right size ball doesn't me you should pull it!
It's like i say when you see a women wear something that makes you say WTF! Makes me want to tell them "Just cause it comes in your size, doesn't mean you should wear it!"

We use a 2004 3/4 Suburban. 8.1 liter (499 cubes) gas engine. Hard load with leather and a sunroof even. It has an Allison transmission in it. Pulls either an open deck aluminum 18ft trailer, or a 24ft enclosed. I have no idea what the mileage is, but it carries 160 liters. We have the Suburban because I have to bring along anywhere from 2-4 kids plus the wife. Lots of elbow room, packing space and DVD player. Use it to go to the dragstrip (2 hours away).
Daryl

-
Back