what do you think i should do

-
i am leaving it original colors, it had the top so i have put it back on, you are right about the hood. I have ordered chrome valve covers for it , and desided to put ralleys with white letter tires, and chrome exhaust tips to the dual exhaust for now i think that will give it the look w/o breakining my bank

View attachment 69dart8.jpg

this look with correct ralley center caps
on
View attachment DSCF2021.jpg

this car (which is my actual car)

Take some advice from an old fart.

1) Make up your mind.
2) WRITE DOWN your plan step by step.
3) Build it.

Man, that would be a great sleeper for ambushing the local rice burners.

I actually removed the side trim from my 68 Dart 270. And I'll be replaceing the trim with a GTS side stripe something like this when I finish my paintjob in the spring. This is a temporary stipe made out of blue masking tape. The car will still be WW1 white and the strip will be light blue, or maybe silver.

Good luck with your car, it will look good with rally's and white letter tires.

Attachments

• 5624390-Bluestripe.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 109
I also just added a reproduction GTS hood to my Dart. It will look sweet, but your right it costs a decent chunk of change to add this hood.

The reproduction hood from AMD is around $550 if I remember correctly, and the new inserts were $325. So add a little shipping to that and your looking at almost a grand !

Its hard to spend that kind of cash on something thats just for looks, but to me it was worth it.

Attachments

• S5002390.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 131
I know you were asking for pic of 270's with the side trim and rally's.

So heres a couple more pics of my car before I removed the trim.

Hope these help with your decision and the rallys and such.

Attachments

• dartside2.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 132
  • dartside.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 113
Personally , I despise seeing Rallye wheels on any pre-1970 "A" Body . Just my opinion , so take it as such .

Why not add the GTS hood to what's there already ? Not every Swinger / GTS had sporty colours / wheels / stripes ! A stripe-delete option was somewhat common on the GTS models ( see "GTS" emblems on the front fenders ? Car was originally stripe-delete . )

Even if you add just the hood , you'd have yourself a sweet lookin' strippo lookin' '69 Swinger 340 .
AND it'd look unique amongst all of the rubber band tyre'd , 16+ rim'ed , scoop'ed and noisy things around today .

Don't get me wrong ; I do appreciate a superb handling Dart ( et al. ) , but I'm also kind of tired of seeing only 'cloned' / pro mod / pro touring / pro athlete cars around ... I rather enjoy seeing 'plain' and-or non-performance models !

going to build a model of how i want the car to look b4 i decide i will post pics of it when completed in a week or so and base the real car off the model.

I actually removed the side trim from my 68 Dart 270. And I'll be replaceing the trim with a GTS side stripe something like this when I finish my paintjob in the spring. This is a temporary stipe made out of blue masking tape. The car will still be WW1 white and the strip will be light blue, or maybe silver.

Good luck with your car, it will look good with rally's and white letter tires.

i like the stripes- decisions, decisions

i like the stripes- decisions, decisions

If I were you I'd stay with the original trim.

Removing the trim and welding up all the holes (around 40 per side) was a lot of work and caused me to spend a lot of time on bodywork getting it all nice and straight along the sides. If I had it to do again, I would have just left the original trim instead of causing myself all the extra work.

just my 2 cents.

If I were you I'd stay with the original trim.

Removing the trim and welding up all the holes (around 40 per side) was a lot of work and caused me to spend a lot of time on bodywork getting it all nice and straight along the sides. If I had it to do again, I would have just left the original trim instead of causing myself all the extra work.

just my 2 cents.
agreed

Change the hood and wheels. keep the chrome, beef up the 318. back in the day you made what changes you could wheels tires dual exhaust etc.
not everybody had a fire breathing Mopar and besides back then the after market for Mopar wasn't what it is now. Nice car keep it that way.

Hey dude. If you dont wanna pay shipping on the hood, you can order it for pickup. I live right down the road from AMD. And zigs plans sound like a good idea

Hey dude. If you dont wanna pay shipping on the hood, you can order it for pickup. I live right down the road from AMD. And zigs plans sound like a good idea
Thata the plan- the car already has dual exhaust so im adding chrome tips, going to look for wheels and hood when i go to rockingham this april

Thata the plan- the car already has dual exhaust so im adding chrome tips, going to look for wheels and hood when i go to rockingham this april
I'll gladly pick up your hood and store it for you if you want and I'll meet you whereever

I'll gladly pick up your hood and store it for you if you want and I'll meet you whereever

first things first gotta save some $$$$$ those hoods are expensive. ty for the offer, i may take you up on that when i get more cash

Hey Zombie DarTT do you have any idea what they sell those hoods for.

I found a set of ralleys in va I am going to buy

OK, then a 440.

my dads duster has a 440 in it with a727 reverse band trans. I will not even think about that upgrade, after driving that car! the front is tooo heavy and the car does not drive well with all the weight in the front. If something goes ammiss in the dart w/ the current 318 i will be installing a 360.

here is my 68 with the rallys, i love the side trim you have on that car,

023.jpg

-
Back