what do you think i'll run?

-

73dodge

Reaction score
I have a 69 valiant with a 904 and 3.54 dana rear. The registration says the car weighs 3600 lbs but i'm not sure about that, it seems a little high. anyhow i'm getting a 408 stroker from blueprint engines. The motor puts out 375 hp and 460 lb ft of torque. I'll probably get a converter around 2500 to 2800 stall. It's purely a street car that i'll run at the track once in a while. My question is this. Is anyone running a similar setup? If so what are you running at the track? I'd love to crack a 12.99 but would be satisfied to be close. Any ideas what my combo would do?

wow, you guys are pretty optimistic. I hope you're right because that would be a pretty stout streetcar.

What size cam do those engines come with??..your not running much stall or gears...

the cam is 233 in. 240 ex. @.50 with 474 lift and 110 centerline. I want to run power brakes and be daily driver. I know most guys would say go more aggressive but i want to be realistic. This cam is a comp cam modernization of the 280 474 purple cam.

my car is a 68 valiant with a 383 bb 727 trans 8 3'4 rear 4.56 gears and a 3500 stall, about 425 hp and almost 480lbs torque and i'am hoping to at least dip into the 11"s and i had a pickup truck with a 318 and 904 trans, as soon as i put 4bbl and cam the tranny fried, got a rebuilt one and twisted the thing in half so you might want to change your tranny with that much torque

Sure you could get more power with a bigger cam but with the gears and convertor you have a lower rpm torque curve is what you want.

Chuck

the cam is 233 in. 240 ex. @.50 with 474 lift and 110 centerline. I want to run power brakes and be daily driver. I know most guys would say go more aggressive but i want to be realistic. This cam is a comp cam modernization of the 280 474 purple cam.

That is actually a great cam-perfect for a hot street car and its not much different than comps xe 274.

Built right your 904 should perform just fine,i've been running one behind my 416 stroker for 2 seasons quite successfully...

With street tires in a 65 Valiant, low 13's.

does anyone know why that cam has so little lift for the duration it has? I never understood why the purple cams from mopar had less lift per duration than all other cam manufacturers.I guess i'll run o.k. so i'm sticking with it.

does anyone know why that cam has so little lift for the duration it has? I never understood why the purple cams from mopar had less lift per duration than all other cam manufacturers.I guess i'll run o.k. so i'm sticking with it.

From what I understand mopar was a little ahead of the times ragarding cams,stock head flow peaks out at lower lift so there no gain by opening the valve to .500 or more if your peak is somewhere below that-you want to make the most of lower lift flow.But poorer flowing heads do need more duration (hang the valve longer=more cylinder filling) to make power so you have a fairly large duration (given the advertised numbers) and lift numbers that compliments an average set of heads.

-
Back