What does this clutch switch do?

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
IMG_1494.JPG
IMG_1493.JPG
Im in the process of trying to figure out how all the components work on my 4 speed a body pedal assembly. In playing with another rebuilt pedal assembly I bought off this site I broke off the plastic stop tab on the end of this switch. I have enclosed some pics of it. It looks like the switch is depressed when the clutch pedal is pressed and releases when the clutch is raised. What is the purpose of this switch. The assembly and the car it is going into is a 67 4 speed a body. Where can I find a new switch and how can I remove the old one. Are replacements inexpensive? I played with it a bit but it seems that the switch is set in the bracket pretty tight. Was this switch on all 4 speed abodies or only certain years?

Carl

Last edited:
Like already mentioned, if it's activated by the brake pedal it is the brakelight switch (and is what it looks like).
If it's activated by the clutch pedal then it is being used as a clutch safety switch, and is what keeps the starter from turning the engine over unless the clutch is depressed.
That type of switch could work for either one depending on which pedal activates it.

Like already mentioned, if it's activated by the brake pedal it is the brakelight switch (and is what it looks like).
If it's activated by the clutch pedal then it is being used as a clutch safety switch, and is what keeps the starter from turning the engine over unless the clutch is depressed.
That type of switch could work for either one depending on which pedal activates it.
Thanks everyone for chiming in. Did this only come on certain year 4 speed pedal setups? Maybe the rebuilt manual pedal assembly I bought was from a later a body like 71 or 72. Would my 67 dart 4 speed originally have this part on it? I'm wondering if my dart never had a provision for this? I could just run without it or just never plug it in? Are these easy to find. I need a replacement.

No your 67' would not have had the clutch safety switch.

Years ago I stripped a clutch/brake pedal set out of an early 70s Duster. The clutch safety switch looked nothing like that one. You can go to Brewer's web site to see what they look like.
I don't know if cruise control was ever offered on stick cars, but if it was that switch could have been there to disengage the cruise so the engine wouldn't rev up.

Here is a picture of a clutch safety switch from a 71 b body. It basically creates a ground when the clutch is depressed allowing the starter relay to activate. If you have a manual shift car from pre-1970, you don't need it. However, if you are converting from an automatic you will either need one, replace the starter relay with a pre-1970 manual one, or ground it out in some other manner. (Like I did.)
0211170930.jpg

-
Back