What does this mean

-

norton

Doing the best that I can
Reaction score
When having my Duster appraised, the PO. told the guy this. The 8 3/4 differential has a " 742 " casing and it has been rebuilt and upgraded with Richmond gears and an Auburn brand limited slip unit. What does this all mean.

742 is the last 3 digits of the part number of the case, and indicates that it has an 1 3/4" pinion shaft diameter. Richmond is a company that makes gears, and have a very good reputation. The Auburn limited slip is what some would call a "Posi", or Suregrip in Mopar terms, and the Auburn unit is a cone style Suregrip unit, meaning that a cone shaped disc is forced into the case by force under acceleration causing both wheels to turn simultaneously instead of just the passenger side!

Hope this helps!! Geof

If in facto is true,means you have a quality sought after set-up,which is GOOD....

742 is the last 3 digits of the part number of the case, and indicates that it has an 1 3/4" pinion shaft diameter. Richmond is a company that makes gears, and have a very good reputation. The Auburn limited slip is what some would call a "Posi", or Suregrip in Mopar terms, and the Auburn unit is a cone style Suregrip unit, meaning that a cone shaped disc is forced into the case by force under acceleration causing both wheels to turn simultaneously instead of just the passenger side!

Hope this helps!! Geof

First, Thanks for the responses.
So how can I tell if it is the real deal ?

:burnout:Oh Man ! You hit my funny bone. I thought you were kidding. You set me up good. I'm Sorry about that !
You'll have to get under the car to read the numbers on the rear end center section.

You have what a lot of guys would love to have.

Tell us more about your ride!

Did they say what gear that you had ? If not it's easy to figure out yourself. Then measure the diameter of the tire you're running, and play with this.

http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/speed-rpm-calculator

um - floor it from a dead stop?
The casting number is on the driver's side of the center section - cast right into it. The Auburn limited slip is internal and you can't see it unless you remove the center section. You'll see the name Richmond on the gears in there too.

-
Back