what dot tire for 15x3 rim

-
Is it for a street car, or a race car? The 2 major sanctioning bodys for drag racing outlawed the 3" wide wheel years back. Their minimum requirement is 4" width these days. I don't really understand the question because it would make more sense if you were asking what "width" tire, instead of "tallest".

i have a 145r15 firestone on my 15x4....dont know if that helps any. i think a 165r is about the biggest youd want to go on a 4" rim. dont know about a 3"

Attachments

• a58.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 605
Is it for a street car, or a race car? The 2 major sanctioning bodys for drag racing outlawed the 3" wide wheel years back. Their minimum requirement is 4" width these days. I don't really understand the question because it would make more sense if you were asking what "width" tire, instead of "tallest".

Street tire hence the d.o.t.,dont want some short profile tire scraping the oil pan.The taller the tire the longer the roll out on the beams if I do race it.

Street tire hence the d.o.t.,dont want some short profile tire scraping the oil pan.The taller the tire the longer the roll out on the beams if I do race it.

you don't want to do much normal road driving on that narrow of a tire, you run the risk of rolling it right off the rim and it will understeer like a bast%$d

why not have a set of tires for the track and one for the street, only takes what 15 minutes to switch all 4 tires if there already on a set of rims

Get rid of the 3" and go with at least a 5" for the street. 3" are extremely bad, I have driven on them.

A 5" wheel will allow a 185-75-15 or a 195-70-15. The 185-75-15 is what many people try to squeeze on a 3".

But I guess my car did look cool back when it had meats and streamers on it. DAmn, now i want new wheels and tires. lol

barracuda.jpg

Get rid of the 3" and go with at least a 5" for the street.

I agree. I researched the crap out of this a year ago. Too many people warned about bent wheels, under steer problems, etc. Plus tire sizes and manufacturers were extremely limited.

I went with a 195/65/15 on a 5 inch wheel with 3.5" backspacing. I used a modern Michelin tire that drives like a dream, but still kept the look that I was wanting.

IMG_20120102_142929.jpg

I have never thought the skinny front tires and wheels drove that bad. In fact they are probably nearly as wide as the original 13" tire that came on my car from the factory.

Regarding the original post I run 165-80-15 dot tires on the dart 3.5" wheel they fit really nice.

My old demon had a 28" tall M/T skinny front tire don't think it was dot but it was tall, think the size was 28X5.5 and it was mounted on a 15X4 wheel

Attachments

• 68 Dart 041.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 366
  • 68 Dart 048.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 381
  • 71Demon 002.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 372
I use a 15X4" wheel with a 590-15 bias ply tire on my Dart. It steers fine. Like has been said, the stock 13" wheels were pretty narrow anyway.

Attachments

• 100_0283.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 100_0286.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 389
my 15x4s work and drive great, in fact they work better than a wide tire because it is easier to steer, i just dont take any corners lol

Attachments

• d110.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 358
-
Back