What engine to use.

-

DamagePyro

Reaction score
Hello. I am in the midst or building myself a 1968 Dodge Dart 270. The original plan was to turn it into a bracket car, but our city and its infinite wisdom decided that our local drag strip would make a better retention pond for the dump then a place for people to Race. And I have little interest in trailering the car an hr plus to head to a neighboring city's race way just to drive my car. So now its getting a full interior a milder transmission rebuild and it'll be a nasty street machien. Mu current dilema is in engine choice. I have in my garage on the stand right now a 1968 340 block wih a forged crank. the downside being the block is currently punched out 0.060 over stock and the crank needs a regrind. The engines last owner decided it would be a grand idea to over torque the rear main cap and scoured the rear main journal all to heck. And i am not sure but I am thinking 0.060 is pretty much as big as that block is going to go and will probably build to much heat city driving. My other option is a 360 motor from the local junk yard. A long block costs $110 and you can take everything but the carb and accessories. So do I grind the crank run oversized bearings and hope the 0.060 over doesn't cause my motor to boil itself to death. or do i bore the 360 block 0.030 and drop in a 4" stroker crank and bolt on my 2.02 heads. Any thoughts opinions or ideas?

I just got my 69 cuda on the road w/ a 408 stroker and I really love this motor. It is a good pulling motor and very streetable

I like the 360 block (408) idea. Depending on your use and budget, you may want to use the heads, or sell them and upgrade. The 4" stroke LA built A body combo is as close to perfect as I've seen for a multi-use vehicle.

Not inches. Just the stroke. It's absolute magic for a street car.

Hey Damagepyro,
Are you serious they closed down Race city? I raced at the old sheppard track in Calgary years ago. We are from Calgary and hope to be moving back. No race track. That sucks.

Yes Race city's last day was October 28 2008. there is a petition open to force the city to honor the lease and allow race city to stay in business. Nov 5 08 the motion went before city council but they haven't made a decision yet. so we'll see.

Yes Race city's last day was October 28 2008. there is a petition open to force the city to honor the lease and allow race city to stay in business. Nov 5 08 the motion went before city council but they haven't made a decision yet. so we'll see.

Sorry to here that. Keep up the good fight. LACR closed down here in socal. Now There is only one place for us to run with out driveing more than 4 houers. and they wonder why there is so much street racing:angry7:

I would go with the 360 stroker if it was me. They make for nice street/strip motors.

-
Back