What flywheel to use on a 7000 rpm engine?

-

oliver

Reaction score
Well, i was going to originally use a stock iron piece that has been magnafluxed and balanced and use a blow proof housing with my a833..... buuuuuutttt it looks like im going to be using a transmission with an integral aluminum bell housing and i don't want to risk a 40 year old flywheel at 7k near my legs. I was looking at some light weight ones, but they are dang pricey lil bastards.

Well, i was going to originally use a stock iron piece that has been magnafluxed and balanced and use a blow proof housing with my a833..... buuuuuutttt it looks like im going to be using a transmission with an integral aluminum bell housing and i don't want to risk a 40 year old flywheel at 7k near my legs. I was looking at some light weight ones, but they are dang pricey lil bastards.

I would run a scatter shield no matter what flywheel you run. My Dart has scars on the firewall and floor from one coming apart. Not pretty at all. Just saying.

What you doing with the car? Street or strip or both? May want to look in to a rule book if your racing it as they may require a scatter shield and or a SFi flywheel.

SFI for sure. and a Lakewood bellhousing, no aluminum.

Are you saying no to aluminum for racing or not aluminum at all? I don't have an opinion, just trying to learn something. Thanks

well if you are drag racing, whatever happens before the green light is free power lol... so would you rather have a 100lb flywheel spinning at 7,000 rpm when you take off or a 50

sustained high speed racing like oval track is a different animal. that's why i recommended calling keisler and telling them the application and getting the right setup.

I would run a scatter shield no matter what flywheel you run. My Dart has scars on the firewall and floor from one coming apart. Not pretty at all. Just saying.

What you doing with the car? Street or strip or both? May want to look in to a rule book if your racing it as they may require a scatter shield and or a SFi flywheel.

i was thinking of a blanket or a shield, no serious racing. mostly a fun street and a few test n tunes.

A stock type wheel is ok for street / strip but a kevlar shield should be in place if you are not using a scatter proof bell. Billet steel SFI approved wheel would be the best choice for safety, still a kevlar shield should be added regardless.

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/sportcompact/2008_SC_Rulebook.pdf

Would look through that. I would want some thing to protect my feet regardless. But thats just me. I would go with an SFI approved flywheel too.

Then it comes down to the weight of the thing. Some thing tat has been talked about here a few times. To me lighter is better (to a point) get it to light and it may not be as streetable as with a heaver one. finding that balance of light but not to light for the driving you are doing is some thing I have not been able to find good info on.

http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=faq&view=3 good read there.

-
Back