what fuel pump should i get?

-

zartan

Reaction score
the car is a 68 dart with a 318, after i blow up the 318 that i have i'm going with a 400 or 440. it will be used street/strip. any ideas?

If mechanical,check out Carter street/strip pumps.Electric,over 400 hp,Holley blue with regulator.Both time tested ,and proven.If more than 550-600 h.p,check out upper end stuff like the Holley black pump.Others will,chime in.

I was just about to say it would be electric. I was looking at the holly blue. But then I noticed some of the more expensive ones and that's what got me thinking.

I have no experience with these pumps, but FABO member "Mad Dart" speaks highly of these units. He knows alot about them, and to me, they make perfect sense and can't think of a reason on why not to use these...Here is a quote from the man himself:

"Swap that POS Blue pump for a Walbro GSL-392, Way Quite and will out perform what you have easily. The Walbro is good for about 600HP and you can barely hear it running.
$100.00 Problem solved."

I've heard the Holley 12-25 is a nice quiet pump. Has anyone got one installed that can provide input on the noise level?

I have no experience with these pumps, but FABO member "Mad Dart" speaks highly of these units. He knows alot about them, and to me, they make perfect sense and can't think of a reason on why not to use these...Here is a quote from the man himself:

"Swap that POS Blue pump for a Walbro GSL-392, Way Quite and will out perform what you have easily. The Walbro is good for about 600HP and you can barely hear it running.
$100.00 Problem solved."

Yeh. And Holley is selling repackaged Walbro at a markup for their EFI systems, nearly 200 bucks

I was running a Holley "Red" on my Dart and unimpressed. I installed additional rubber between the pump and bracket, and drilled out the bracket holes to allow for big rubber grommets, so the pump is "double insulated." It's connected with rubber jumper hoses, and is STILL plenty noisy from the driver's seat.

By comparison, I have to roll down the window with the engine off to hear the pumps on my 86 or 98 Ranger

$100.00 Problem solved."

Hi MoParDude,

Do you need to run a reg with the Walbro pump ?

Cheers Oz

I ran a Holley Blue for years, until I could hear the damn buzzing in my sleep. I've had quieter chainsaws. Replaced that with a Carter pump that was whisper quiet, often because it seized up and left me broken down. That got replaced with a Mallory 140GPH that was an excellent pump.

For my next build, I will be running a high volume mechanical pump. Can't beat simplicity.

-
Back