What gauge of sheet metal?

-

littleman66

Reaction score
i want to patch up the rockers under the quarters, what gauge would you recommend. I dont have a clue what to buy.

on easily formable or flat areas I went to Menards and bought a sheet of 16 guage - for my 1/4 panels I had to do some shapeing so I bought 20 guage and it all worked out great for me

I have read somewhere what gauge particular years had but couldn't find the info. I looked at most of the suppliers of replacement panels that advertise
"same thickness as factory" but no one said how thick that was. I have a body tech friend that likes using old appliances but the anti-rust chemicals on the metal are hazardous to your health when you cut or weld. You are much better off with 16-20 gauge like outlaw recomended. Mike

If you have a vernier caliper handy,you need a sheet of .045 sheet metal to do proper panels.This is the normal thickness of a 1/4 panel and body sheet metal,Mrmopartech

.045 is about halfway between 19 gauge(.042) and 18 gauge(.049) if you need the gauge equivalent.

You could get by with something thinner, like .030 or so. I work in a GM stamping plant and most of our outer metal is around .030. Much easier to form. just put a good rust preventative on the back side.

Call me a butcher. I like to cut up trunk lids and doors. I even used one of those metal shelving shelfs on a 72 Challenger. Cut'em up and form 'em on a sand bag. :headbang:

dusterdon said:
You could get by with something thinner, like .030 or so. I work in a GM stamping plant and most of our outer metal is around .030. Much easier to form. just put a good rust preventative on the back side.
With all do respect I think I would refrain from doing things the GM way. it's a broken company, .030 is thinner than 20 gauge.

With all DUE respect, I think that I know a little bit more than you about metal forming, THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back