What Gears???

-

Hoophoop

Reaction score
I have a 73 Duster mildly built, A833 4 speed 3:23 rear... my question is what should I go to in the rear for rip snort acceleration, I dont care about going 100mph... this is just a crusier for around town, like I said..not worried about mileage or interstate driving, 3:93 /4:11/4:56 ??? Any help would be appreciated !!

With a 4 speed, I wouldn't go too low. 4.10's are pretty low as it is. I tried 4.88's back in the day, and it never felt like the motor ever got to use it's torque to pull that gear. It rev'd up so fast, it was always time to shift. You aren't launching when you are shifting.

Then there's the whole traction thing. Can you hook up that much torque multiplication?

Back in the 70's I had a 440 cuda with 4:56 gears. What a blast that was to drive in town. Traction will become a problem but you can turn some tires! On the Dart i'm building right now I am using 3:91 gears but looking for a set of 4:30'!
Rod

I like my 4spd with 4.10's with a 26 inch tire. (235/60/15 or 245/60/15)
If you go to 4.30's, go up 1 inch. (255/275) 4.56's or higher, go up another inch to a 28 inch tire.
The 4.10's and the 26 or so inch tire will put you in the low to mid 3K range on cruise, on the Hwy.

3.91 is a good choice, for a street driven car. That will give you good punch, without winding the motor too hard.

I should have mentioned I'[m running a 255/45/17 tire on the rear, and these things hook hard, so it's sounds like the 4:10-11 range will work best for me....what you guys think?

I think it is an extremely personal thing like anything else. IMO, you need facts. I gave mine above to what it approx. spins at on the Hwy. and by the way, that speed was below 65. I did fail to mention that.

A lot depends on the personal taste of what can be put up with and the intended usage and perimeters of the driving range or experience.
Also that tire size is completely unfamiliar to me. What's the inches in diameter?

That is a 26" tire Rob. I have decided to go with the 3:91 ratio, hope it works well for me.

Not with the O.D tranny with low first gear......

Where did the OP say he had an OD? Lets not get this sidetracked.

Even with the OD, there's still a huge jump between first and second.

I do have a tremec 5 speed in one car - 833OD in another and 727 in yet another just me I like the 3:55 gearing range

I do have a tremec 5 speed in one car - 833OD in another and 727 in yet another just me I like the 3:55 gearing range had 3:91 once and didn't like them but I drive my cars long distance

-
Back