What goes here?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
1973 Dart Sport. One of the front fenders must have been replaced, because the left side has these two holes right behind the bumper and the right side doesn't. I assume some sort of inner bumper cover went in there. Does anyone know for sure and/or have a pic of it? I'm considering pulling the bumper in a few inches which would eliminate the need for anything in there, but I'd sure like to know.

View attachment Fender holes.jpg

I can't see it in your pic. Is it a plastic piece that goes from side to side, or one for each side? And do you have any idea where to find them?

I don't remember if it went all the way across or not, it might. I changed the pic, it's just a hard rubber type piece that bolts to the fender.

If you have it on one side and not the other, it's possible 73 didn't have it and 74 does, or someone filled the holes. Mine's a 74.

Someone here might have one.

it is one long piece that goes all the way across, there is two small flat head bolts hidden under the rubber that goes through those two holes and bolts from the inside of the fender.

it is one long piece that goes all the way across, there is two small flat head bolts hidden under the rubber that goes through those two holes and bolts from the inside of the fender.

There ya go, I couldn't remember, it's been a while since I had it apart.

I'm removing them on my 74 Dart sport. Collapse the piston to get more flush look. I will sell mine but shipping is high due to length.

I'm removing them on my 74 Dart sport. Collapse the piston to get more flush look. I will sell mine but shipping is high due to length.

Get me a price, and I might go for it. Is it metal with rubber end pieces? I don't have bumper shocks on my 73. I can pull off the bumper, cut the frame end shorter and remount the bumper.

That's a '75 or '76 fender with the holes.
I would just weld the holes up instead of installing the funky rubber trim.

I'm seriously considering the same on mine, I don't like the distance between the bumper and body, on both ends.

My 74 se has the filler, and good luck finding one that is not shrunk, the back is almost impossible to find in good shape, and it is 3 pieces that are always shrunk and do not line up! I am living with it but the bumper idea is a new one on me, might be worth a try.....

73 does not have it, but my replacement for the passenger side does.
It's from a newer car than 73 but I don't remember the exact year it came off of.

And yours probably don't have the shock bumpers?

That's probably the connection.

That probably is the connection, because most cars I have ever seen with plastic or rubber closing in the gaps was because they had the absorbing bumper.
Mine does not, and has none of the plastic or rubber trim.

I'm going to just weld up the holes in the fender for it, and it'll look like they were never there.

-
Back