What guide plates are you guys using on magnums?

-

Ges2343

Reaction score
i bought a set of comp cams and the alignment is horrible for a non adjustable guide plate. I am thinking about elongating the holes on the mill to get these straightened out.

306667E1-6996-459D-ACFE-8720D86302E0.jpeg

3FF34135-4FDF-454C-8445-F8708EEEFD4E.jpeg

I guess I should have mentioned I’m running the Hughes EQ heads with the 5/16 rocker conversion studs. The ones in that link are made by Edelbrock for there 3/8 studded heads. Years ago I ran the crane kit that had a stud with a rectangle metal piece with a nylon insert with a hole for the pushrod. They still sell them as a set they are the same conversion setup for a ford. Expensive for what they are but did work. If I had to do again I would spend the extra bucks to avoid the headache. I guess what I’m saying is I want to use what I already have. Has anyone else had to modify there Comp cam magnum guideplates?

I used that style with the plastic inserts about 10 or 12 years ago (still running) and it lined up poorly as well.
It will work fine to clearance the guide plates you have. Make sure they are smooth when finished, and make sure you are running hardened pushrods, as needed with the steel guideplates anyway.

I suppose you could cut a v-shaped notch in your guide plates between the two studs. The amount removed by the thickness of the blade will allow the plates to move closer together. May just need to slot the stud hole. The notch should keep them aligned, or could weld the plates together once alignment is set. This way is more involved, but would leave the finish in pushrod slots untouched.

I suppose you could cut a v-shaped notch in your guide plates between the two studs. The amount removed by the thickness of the blade will allow the plates to move closer together. May just need to slot the stud hole. The notch should keep them aligned, or could weld the plates together once alignment is set. This way is more involved, but would leave the finish in pushrod slots untouched.

That was my thoughts was to elongate rocker stud holes side to side. That way I could line them up and sockem down. They are not toed in or out just shifted to the right or left.

I used the comp cams 4825-8 on my 5.9 magnum with EQ heads. They worked ok and I could adjust them to get the alignment correct. the problem I had was the QC wasn't the greatest and a few of them were tight on push rods after tightening down the rocker studs (the plate would distort and cause the pushrods to hang up slightly). I guess what can you expect for $20... it sure aint CNCed lol

I actually went through and ordered like 4 sets from summit to see if they were all like that or if I had a bad set. Every set I looked at did the same thing. So I ended up just clearancing them slightly for a few minutes with some really high grit sand paper and it worked out fine.

COMP Cams Pushrod Guideplates 4825-8

-
Back